Best grass for your lawn?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Btw....if you do fescue....go with sod this time of year. You can seed in the spring, but it wont establish strong enough to make it through the summer.

Also be sure to go with a "turf-type" fescue such as Black Beauty, Rebel, or Crossfire. Stay away from K-31....this is where the "clumpy" comes from.

Well I have K -31 and yeah, it gets clumpy. I guess I need to switch to a new grass. Now’s about the time to start prepping the lawn; may see about some good sod and do it right.

The things we learn here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Buffalo grass for the win. So glad it was in place already when we moved here 15 years ago. Soft, takes little to no rain and has a very low growth height. Seed is expensive.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
U3 (bermuda) and tiff 419(also bermuda) don't do well in shade. Same for buffalo grass. Those would be no go for the OP.

Tulsa Grass and Sod would be the folks to talk to if you are interested in sod. By far the best in Ok and will deliver most anywhere.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
U3 (bermuda) and tiff 419(also bermuda) don't do well in shade. Same for buffalo grass. Those would be no go for the OP.

Tulsa Grass and Sod would be the folks to talk to if you are interested in sod. By far the best in Ok and will deliver most anywhere.

I thought he mentioned he was cutting down the tree.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought he mentioned he was cutting down the tree.

More than one tree that I'm reading in the OP. Just cutting one that is too close to the house.
What variety are the remaining trees? If they are something like a sugar maple, they are very shallow rooted and consequently secrete a natural herbicide to kill anything growing underneath them to preserve all the soils nutrients and water for themself. some other trees do the same thing so find out what they are and deal with them accordingly.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Zoysia... looks great, but needs pretty much full sun, I think. In addition, we had a blight a couple of years back that killed off 99% of the zoysia in our area. People's lawns got devastated.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than one tree that I'm reading in the OP. Just cutting one that is too close to the house.
What variety are the remaining trees? If they are something like a sugar maple, they are very shallow rooted and consequently secrete a natural herbicide to kill anything growing underneath them to preserve all the soils nutrients and water for themself. some other trees do the same thing so find out what they are and deal with them accordingly.
Not sure what kind of trees. They have acorns, so I'm guessing oak. Three of them

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have mature oaks fescue is your only choice imo. You can seed now but it more then likely wont last through summer especially without water. Best to overseed mid September depending where you are in the state. If they are large you need to get the canopies raised up so you can get some light under it if you plan to try anything else. I have a bermuda yard with 4 trees between 40-60 feet. All trees have fescue under them. Canopies raised and irrigation. Still requires reseeding evry fall. Nice grass isnt cheap and takes a lot of time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom