Best new or old common sense hunt tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a kid hunting. Take them out and teach them proper gun safety and practice shooting first, of course. There aren't many feelings that compare to sharing in the excitement of their first harvest.

notime

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget poop paper or water or the boots u plan on hunting in!

had an uncle couple of years ago that didn't hunt often go pheasant hunting with me he didn't have any huntin boots so he wore tennis shoes when we got out to hunt I noticed that he didn't even grab a matching pair had good time teasing him.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No matter what you are hunting, no matter how long you are out or how far away you are from your house or truck. Take a knife.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When hunting in woods or timber and trailing a wounded deer I like to use sticks and dead fall that I find on the ground to lean up against a tree at every spot of blood. You can then look and see the path the deer has taken and have a better idea of his path. When I use to hunt public hunting land in Southeastern Ok. I would also use this method to mark a path to my stand. Just lean the dead fall against the tree and point it in the direction of your stand. They would be easy to follow the next morning with a flashlight. This was also many years before GPS's. And of course no littering of any kind.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When hunting in woods or timber and trailing a wounded deer I like to use sticks and dead fall that I find on the ground to lean up against a tree at every spot of blood. You can then look and see the path the deer has taken and have a better idea of his path. When I use to hunt public hunting land in Southeastern Ok. I would also use this method to mark a path to my stand. Just lean the dead fall against the tree and point it in the direction of your stand. They would be easy to follow the next morning with a flashlight. This was also many years before GPS's. And of course no littering of any kind.

this brings to mind my first hunt at Big Mac.
I bought some of the thumb tacks that will glow when a flashlight is put on them to mark a trail, so I could find it going back in the next morning.
The next morning, I lit up my flashlight and it was like the greatest christmas display ever.
20 years or so of people doing the same thing, makes for a pretty good display:D

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take a compass with you when you are trailing deer in timber at night. I have gotten back in thick stuff and had my head down for a couple hours following a twisting blood trail and had no idea which way was out after I found the deer.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a compass with you when you are trailing deer in timber at night. I have gotten back in thick stuff and had my head down for a couple hours following a twisting blood trail and had no idea which way was out after I found the deer.

Had to follow the blood trail back to where you shot it didn't you, ha.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Scout Master that I used to work with taught me this trick: Take a normal roll of toilet paper, squeeze it flat, kind of work it around until the paper tube in the middle gets loose. Then work the tube out. Now you have a roll of paper that you can flatten out and will stay flat. Take the TP and put it in a ziplock bag. Now it stores easily in your hunting gear and is safe from rain. Thanks to the Round Mound of the Profound, Harold Brown.

Besides the normal use for TP, When you shoot some game and are on the blood trail, take a square periodically and place it on a limb or bush along the trail, that way if you lose the trail you can easily go back and start where you lost the trail. After you find your game you can go back and gather up the squares and if you miss one, it will be gone in the next rain, completely biodegradable. That one is from my Dad.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Scout Master that I used to work with taught me this trick: Take a normal roll of toilet paper, squeeze it flat, kind of work it around until the paper tube in the middle gets loose. Then work the tube out. Now you have a roll of paper that you can flatten out and will stay flat. Take the TP and put it in a ziplock bag. Now it stores easily in your hunting gear and is safe from rain. Thanks to the Round Mound of the Profound, Harold Brown.

Besides the normal use for TP, When you shoot some game and are on the blood trail, take a square periodically and place it on a limb or bush along the trail, that way if you lose the trail you can easily go back and start where you lost the trail. After you find your game you can go back and gather up the squares and if you miss one, it will be gone in the next rain, completely biodegradable. That one is from my Dad.

Very good one! I've used some caution tape in the past, and its amazing how it will help looking how the wounded game will travel.
I had to go back and pick up the plastic caution tape.
The toilet paper is a much better idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom