Best new or old common sense hunt tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The lesson I relearn all the time it seems, is patience and persistence. Be it turkey, deer, or women. Probably more so with turkey especially, but you can apply it to most anything. You'll kick yourself in the butt a lot more for rushing a shot or strategy and missing, then if you just sit tight and wait for the right opportunity. Even if your quarry goes the other direction when you decided to wait it out, at least you didn't rush it and educate them. They will still be there again.

And as 264 said, get out and hunt. You ain't ever gonna kill anything other than brain cells on the couch. Even if you aren't seeing anything in your spot, be there anyway. My buddy is a fair weather hunter. He gets irritated at me when I fill my bag and he doesn't, but I go twice as much as he does. Dedication pays off.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My tip: Just get out and hunt.

People rely so much on technology that we're forgetting how to actually hunt.

Very true.
I don't know if anybody noticed, but I put up very few trail cam pics this year.
The first couple of years owning them, I was like a kid in a toy store.
LOOK AT THIS ONE!!
Then I finally realized I never saw the bigguns as they came after dark.
I had thousands of immature bucks and does on camers.
Fun to look at, but for whatever reason, I'm getting into wanting to hunt new places where I've never hunted before, and on short notice.

Blast in there, do some quick scouting, make a set-up, and adjust accordingly. MYMonkey posted some pics of his new property he bought, and the first thing I saw in one of the pics was what a great place to put a bow stand.
Back to the Basics I guess. We have great hunting around here, and I don't have any problem what so ever with using whatever it takes to make a hunter sucessful. I'll still put out trail cams, and post pics.
I love looking at everybody's trail cam pics or pics in general of the area, and trying to figure out where I'd put a stand in their pics.

Just my ramblings.....carry on.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
-Be ready for the deer to come in when you have an open water bottle in your lap and and both hands occupied fishing a blueberry muffin from a ZipLoc bag in your daypack.

-Be aware that deer you shoot are always easier to drag than deer your buddies shoot.

-Never talk on your cell phone in front of people in a hunting camp. If you must do it, run off and hide in shame out of earshot. If it rings and it's not on vibrate, don't protest if someone stomps on it or throws it in the fire. They're in the right.

-Landmark where your animal was standing when you shot it, memorize it's reaction and direction of travel. When in doubt, wait it out.

-That creaking noise your bow made a couple of times in June, the one you could never replicate again? Be ready for it come back the when you're drawing on a deer at 12 yards in October.

-If you observe deer traveling withing bow range of a particular tree day in and day out, don't move your stand there. If you do, they will immediately start moving directly under where your stand used to be. At least until you move it back there.

-If a deer is downwind of you, it can smell you.

-99.9% of the time, if you see a "doe" by itself (without fawns or girlfriends), it's a male deer. Exception being does that are being chased by bucks, and their body language gives them away.

-You can find a new job, find a new woman, and live with your extended family disowning you for missing Cousin Jill's wedding...but you can't ever fix your record of having made every opening day once you break it.

-My new favorite tip it took me until this year to appreciate: Hunt as many hours as you can during the rut. Be alert midday. Even if it's hot and windy.

- Most importantly, you probably shouldn't take advice from people like me.

notime

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
when your tree attachments for the trail cams get old break off attach piece of 2x4 or other scrap wood to tree to create a shelf to help stabilize cam.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
-Landmark where your animal was standing when you shot it, memorize it's reaction and direction of travel. When in doubt, wait it out.

When bow hunting from a stand. After I shoot a deer I like to shoot an arrow into the ground where the deer was standing, before I get out of the stand. I've had to many times where I got down from the stand and thought, man this looks a lot different from down here. Makes things easier, for me at least.

Latest posts

Top Bottom