Best pesticide for ticks???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a flea infestation. Couldn't walk anywhere without getting dozens on you. Gave dogs bathes almost every other day. Never could get them under control. Finally went to vet and got some bravecto for the dogs. Hardly ever find a flea or tick now.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Barricade is a herbicide and used as a pre-emergent.

Permethrin is safe for use in a garden. This can be sprayed on your clothing and shoes or boots, let it dry and it is effective for up to 6 laundry cycles. It’s also safe for dogs. However, don’t spray it on cats.

Liquid. Tractor Supply used to sell something like Barricade only at half the price. It works fabulous. Any bug that crawls into that stuff dies.

ETA: This is it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wisdom-tc-flowable-insecticide-1-qt
Liquid. Tractor Supply used to sell something like Barricade only at half the price. It works fabulous. Any bug that crawls into that stuff dies.

ETA: This is it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wisdom-tc-flowable-insecticide-1-qt

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Barricade is a herbicide and used as a pre-emergent.

Permethrin is safe for use in a garden. This can be sprayed on your clothing and shoes or boots, let it dry and it is effective for up to 6 laundry cycles. It’s also safe for dogs. However, don’t spray it on cats.
My bad. I always had trouble remembering the name of what I was thinking of which was Tempo. I think? Some stuff the exterminators used to swear by and ran about $80 quart.

It was a liquid and that stuff I recommended was explained to me to be very close to it. The guy at TSC told me he used it every year on his whole yard, he liked it so much. I bought a quart and it killed all the crawlies and seemed to last for a few months.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ticks on my property are horrible. The monthly tablets for the dogs are very effective. For going on 20 years I've put down granules around the house, barn, and areas where we frequently walk. The 10-15000 sq ft. near the house I double up the amount. I've used Seven and a few other brands. The granules have been very effective. I have a spreader that pulls behind my ztr mower. I think some years I even skipped putting them out. I would rather spray, but time to do it when it's not windy is difficult.

Also a permethrin spray on boots and clothes has worked well for me.
Rawhide: How are the granules around pets/dogs? Any precautions to be aware of?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having chickens also helps immensely. We always had ticks in the yard when I was younger, but after we got chickens, the ticks disappeared. Atleast stepping in chicken doodoo is better than getting that meat allergy disease from a tick.
Possums and turkey are great tick eaters. We have both in the yard daily.
When we had dogs, the drops on the neck were applied that I don't remember the name of kept them off the dogs but not humans.
IMHO the granules suck for us because our lawn is over 3 acres. It would cost a fortune to put them down and there is no way to water them in without rain which is in short supply lately, so we use a liquid in the 100 gallon three point spray rig.

https://www.wondercide.com/products...100s-of-pests-ecotreat?variant=32806484279380This jug will do 2 acres, and is not only environmentally friendly but it is safe for your pets.

Masnor

Marksman
Reaction score
I think they make both liquid and granular applications for ticks, but it would be a good idea to put the dogs on a flea and tick medication.
Agree on the dog internal meds or drops on the back of the neck. But be aware that some pets have reactions. The drops are pricey, but worth it. A visit to the vet, also pricey, might be a good idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom