Getting ticks off dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whenever we travel we swap dog siting services with friends. We go out of town, our dog goes to their place…. They go out of town their dogs come to ours. This time, our pooch came home with a ton of ticks. She has pretty thick black fur and the little buggers are impossible to find. Having said that, we pulled a handful off her last night. There is no way we will find them all until they get much bigger.

What works good for killing ticks once they have latched on? There has to be something OTC that doesn’t require a trip to the vet.

Suggestions?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fill bathtub and add a cup of bleach.
Leave dog soaking for 2 minutes. Lather up with Ivory soap. Let soap soak for 2 minutes and rinse.

My uncle used a cup of salt instead of the bleach. My dog is white, has sensitive skin and the salt doesn't do well with him. The bleach helps with his skin irritations and leaves his coat bright white.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go with Frontline. It's readily available. Don't wash your dog right before you put it on. The attached ticks will die but they probably won't drop off. I wouldn't use anything else, over the counter. It's a lot cheaper to use an effective product like frontline than pay for a vet visit to treat a tick transmitted disease or a toxicity from one of the older products.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife gives our dog something that when the tick bites in, it dies. Science. Growing up we had a Collie that got dipped in barrel of used motor oil the beginning of summer. He stunk a few weeks but then would get a great looking coat. He lived on our place for 19 years. His only job was to run the calves up the loading lane between go rounds. He did it perfectly for 19 years. He’d wait till one of us whistled and he would bring between 20 to 40 calves to the roping shoot holding area. He then would go back to the end of the arena and sit/lay down till his job started again. None of the Blue Healers ever challenged him, he must of been a badass in the dog life amongst his peers!

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pyrethrin, its the active ingredient in many flea and tick sprays, also works on scabies

I use this in my barns and outside around the house. Good stuff. It ****s up those fire ants also!

My barn boots are sprayed, tick cannot live long on the boots for several weeks unless used in a lot of water, then they get retreated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom