Best Place for Wooden Fence Materials and Supplies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't cedar pickets hold up longer than pine pickets? Though I suppose if you give the fence an annual coat of Thompson's or other preservative, the species of wood won't matter much.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine was built on site, no panels. It has 3 treated rails, cedar pickets and galvanized poles. It has been in place for 11 years now and I have not replaced a single thing, except to have two loose posts fixed with some extra concrete. It catches all the wind from the north and south with nothing to block it and is still standing.
Hope I didn't jinx myself!
Mike

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting pickets allows you to build your own fence. Many of the panels are assembled cheaply. Like noted above many are only two rail. Some are assembled using nails that won't hold as well as screws. If you use panels at least buy more 2x4s and add another rail. Also use 2x4's to tie each panel together by putting a 2x4 across where 2 panels adjoining them together.

I used cedar pickets from Fox Lumber.

Mine was built on site, no panels. It has 3 treated rails, cedar pickets and galvanized poles. It has been in place for 11 years now and I have not replaced a single thing, except to have two loose posts fixed with some extra concrete. It catches all the wind from the north and south with nothing to block it and is still standing.
Hope I didn't jinx myself!
Mike

I have never used panels for the reasons outlined above. I am an amateur, but have put up several complete fences in my short lifetime. The panels all look and feel cheap.

I used treated lumber, treated pine pickets (others mentioned cedar), and good galvanized screws. I use 2 screws per rail per 6" picket, so there are 6 screws holding up each picket. We are over 10 years per fence, and they barely look weathered.

I have had better luck with treated pine than cedar. They held up longer and require no stain ot other treatment.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well as bad as you hate Home Depot,

Go to your local HD, go to the contractors desk, tell them you want a quote for fencing, get a quote for 6ftx6" cedar dog eared picketts, have them get you a price on 2x4x8 cedar, they will have to special order it, should be around $5-$6 per board, yes a little high, but you will thank me later.
For your post, have them figure in the 2 3/8 galvinized 8ft corner post, and a wood fence adaptor for the post to connect the 2x4x8 boards to. You will also need quickcret, #60 sacs, one per pole, and 1/4" lag screws 1" long should do it, 4 of those per wood fence adaptor.
Now if your quote goes over $2500 balk and ask them to send it to the bid room to see if they can get you a better price.
You want cedar, it is insect restant and does nto warp like PT lumber will. The steel post will not rot out and can withstand high winds.

PM if you like. Heck, send me your specs and I can quote it for you.

Heres a few pics of my fence, going on 5 years, I stained it twice.
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built my fence almost 20 years ago. It's still holding up well.
I got the materials (treated pickets and 2x4 rails) from Fox Lumber. I used 3- 2x4 rails, landscape timbers for posts (still holding up well) and I screwed the pickets on with 1-1/4" deck screws.
For most of my construction lumber needs, I use Fox or Forest.
Rick W

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be tearing out the old fence (8 panels) on Saturday the 27th. The pickets are still in ok shape, so if somebody could use these for random projects, crafts, whatever, they are free to a good home. These are the older, pointy picket style fence and I'm not sure if they are pressure-treated or not, so they may or may not make decent firewood.

If anybody is interested in picking these up so I won't have to haul them or pay for bulk trash pickup, let me know!

Latest posts

Top Bottom