Best Place To See The Ocean

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first time I saw the ocean was on a quick trip with my uncle who'd never seen it either. We looked at a map and picked what appeared to be the shortest drive, which turned out to be northeast of Houston around Port Arthur. It was pretty disappointing, just big old muddy waves washing up on a big old muddy bank.
Years later my wife and I spent several days in a beach front condo on South Padre, much better. My brother and his family go to Destin and love it.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you've seen, there are tons of opinions on here. I used to live in Charlotte, Destin, Pensacola, Orange Beach, Mobile, visited Biloxi every couple of weekends, visited San Diego and San Francisco multiple times each year. For me, Grand Bahama was my favorite. Crystal waters, white sand, hardly any tourists. Incredibly friendly locals. I went the end of last July. I literally had hundreds of yards of beach to myself. The only other people on the beach were the locals, and they were very friendly. Warm water. Swam with dolphins, scuba dove with sharks, snorkeled reefs.

If you don't have your passport, I recommend Destin for the sand and beautiful water. Not "clear", but a beautiful emerald green fading to blue

I'm going to dive Cinque Terra and the Naples/Amalfi Coast of Italy in 2 weeks, but Freeport, Grand Bahama still holds the top rank for me.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Northern Oregon coast. The Pacific left me speechless. I was talking to an old local in Washington and she said " I've driven the entire coast from Seattle to Baja. Northern Oregon makes Big Sur look like a kiddie pool."

She was right.

Not a beach for drinking fruity drinks on a towel, but that ain't my kinda beach. I'm going to Maine this summer.

You'll love it. I think you'll really enjoy portland.

Except I was there in early fall sweater weather already down into low 40's at night.

My ERP system vendor is based in Falmouth.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is where I was a couple of weeks ago. Like I said above, I don't like crowded beaches. To get to this place, I had to sail a boat past Key West and to the Marquesas Keys. This was a tiny uninhabited island called Boo Boo Key. It took four days to reach this place from Miami. No tourists here. Ever.

Wow! Awesome adventure!

scube

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're on a tighter budget, Allegiant Air flies from okc and Tulsa to just outside Orlando. From there you can get a rental car and do both the Atlantic side and over to St Pete area. I did that a couple weeks ago and flight plus car was under $300.

A quick drive to DFW gives you Spirit Airlines, the hands down worst domestic carrier ever but dirt cheap. I flew them for $120 to Puerto Rico last year. I've seen Myrtle Beach for under $100 lately.

A tip if you have an early flight from DFW. Use Priceline name your own price in the north Dallas airport area 4 star hotels. The only ones fitting that criteria are the Hyatt on the airport property for usually about $60. A night there site beats leaving okc at 230 to catch a flight!

Latest posts

Top Bottom