Best semi-auto shotgun on a budget?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For Duck Hunting....A Browning A5 is the only way to go. I've seen too many gas auto's fail in the elements and grime. The recoil operated Browning is a great gun I have one in a 12 and one in a 20. I've owned a couple Remington semi-auto's over the years but I alway come back to the Browning.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several thousand rounds through my 11-87 most pheasant hunting and clays some duck hunting. Never a jam, failure to feed, failure to eject, nothing. I've probably cleaned it once every couple years other than wiping the finger prints off of. I'd call that reliable enough.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the remington is a PROVEN gun both in the field and on the competition skeet and trap field. Amont those you mentioned the cost is about the same. Remington has a GREAT gun with replacement parts and gunsmiths available.

the whole gun is sound, stock, receiver, barrel, action, gas action, good supply of barrels and chokes, recoil pads, etc. everything is out there.

One gun you might look at is the Beretta 3901 at academy and walmart. I think the beretta crome lined barrel makes for a better pattern.

two things to be concerned with in a shotgun. reliability and pattern. you can spend $400-$600 for a gun but if the pattern is off, and believe me poor quality control in barrel manufacturing can cause poor patterns, then everytime you shoot your pattern can have holes in it.

There is a reason your competitive shooters shoot berettas and remingtons semis. They hold up and perform.

my $.02 worth.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am really liking the Mossberg 930 series. I have a 930 SPX and it has impressed me so much that I am thinking about getting one before bird season comes along.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a NEF excel auto 5, I was very hesitant to get it at first, but I got to throw down on some trap and skeet with it before I bought it, and I love it. I shoot it more than my benelli or Ithaca. It has been through hell and back, I dropped it in the water and had to go swimming after it even. I got it in camo for $400 I believe and I would buy another one in a heart beat, if you are ever around here I'll let you shoot this one. It's perfect for a throw in the truck hunting shotgun, I don't have to baby it like the the other thousand dollar safe queens I have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom