Best Waterfowl Load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I haven't done any waterfowl hunting in a while. I was wondering if there is any input as to which load is more efective: the remington HD, or the Kent tungsten matrix.

Thanks.

BKtul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use #3 shot size and try to get 1 1/2 oz minimum. I don't shoot well enough for the brand to make any difference. The Kents have done well for me. I shoot about 30% on the average. I can promise you if I'm shooting above 50% on the front end of my limit I will do good to shoot 10% on the back end. Kinda wierd, guess I try too hard to finish big.

lance0802

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used the 3" Blackcloud #4 for ducks last year. I thought they were a little expensive, but they did work well. I will probably use them again this year. I've never tried the Kents - my recommendation would be to buy one box and pattern them to see what kind of pattern they throw from your gun.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for the blackclouds!

I used quite a few different loads of them and was always happy

They're more expensive than your standard steel loads, but way cheaper than the 2 shells the OP referenced!

Here;s a pic of the wad cup I took last year, pretty interesting design.

agkasper.smugmug.com_Nature_Duck_Hunting_blackcloud_426238332_uQKZ9_M.jpg

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy a couple of different boxes and pattern your shotgun. It will pay dividends this winter.

A guy I hunt with used the 3.5" Black clouds last year and dropped a widgeon at about 65 yards. Was impressive.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on where you hunt and ranges you'd shoot, the choke in your gun, what size ducks your after, and if your using steel or one of the other non toxic options. Mallards with steel I usually use #1 on lake Oologah, it's not the best when those little teal come a calling like an F-16 but it works fine. If it's wood duck size I use #3 or #2 with number 2 mostly because you never know what you might encounter out there and the distance you will be shooting.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about for Geese? For the last several years, the place I got hunting for dove has Geese flying in formation low and right over head everytime I'm out there. I figured it might be cool to get a stamp and go bag a few. So their altitude is pretty low say maybe 2 to 3 stories(building height) high. What is that like 20-30 feet. Maybe more that seems real low, but not more than 50 feet high.

My biggest concern shooting them this way is killing one and wounding two more.

Anyway, whats the deal with shooting them in formation and what shot size should I use with a 12 Guage?

Latest posts

Top Bottom