Best wireless router for home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
DD-WRT was always rock solid for me. I don't think it needed rebooting even once a year.

And I agree that Linksys' quality has gone downhill in the last... oh, probably 3-4 years, I think. :(

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gives you a lot more configurability, can boost transmission strength, etc. For me, it got rid of the need to reboot my router every few hours because of goofy Linksys firmware.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have had 3 Linksys routers. They last about 1.5-2 years then they're junk. Bought a Comtrend router and have had it for 4 years. I'll never buy another Linksys. YMMV.

I've been using the same linksys WRT54 for well over 5 years. Narry a hiccup. 3 dead in 1 to 2 years. Either I've been lucky or you're doing something wrong.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure you get wireless "N" instead of "G". N will reach further distances and give you more speed, and will still work with G computers,(but not vice versa). All newer computers come out with N, may as well take advantage of it. I use a Cradlepoint MBR1000 router with wireless EVDO.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using the same linksys WRT54 for well over 5 years. Narry a hiccup. 3 dead in 1 to 2 years. Either I've been lucky or you're doing something wrong.

Well, I can find my way around with personal computer hardware pretty good. Every time I hooked up a new router it worked from the get go. My latest router, the Comtrend, I hooked up myself as well and its running fine (going on 4 years now)! I'm done with Linksys routers. IMO they're junk. But like I said.... YMMV.

I think you've been lucky and got a Thursday model instead of a Monday model. :cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom