Electric smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never had a electric smoker and will probably be purchasing one next year.

I don't need the latest and greatest. Just one that is dependable and best bang for the buck. I don't need wifi on it.

This will be mainly for slow low heat for cured meats to finish the process. Homemade Summer sausage, hot dogs etc.

I do my grilling on charcoal.

So what are your experiences and recommendations. Will probably stay under $1000.

Thanks.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the members here gave me an older Cajun Injector a couple years back and I love it. Being on O2 I can not be around open flames so it is great for me. So far I have smoked chicken, turkey and pork loin in it with great result. Smoke a whole chicken with cherry wood and Head Country BBQ rub after brining of course and you have moist, sweet BBQ chicken that really does not need sauce. I like some anyway for that extra spicy kick but the wife loves it without.

Someday I want to buy a decent electric grill to go with it. Only thing I had to learn was to keep my head back when opening the door so that I did not smoke my eye balls, and then not open the door unless I just had to.

Oh and out of all the help, advice, and videos I found on the web, this from Home Dept was the most helpful for a beginner. Charts towards the bottom were very helpful and I printed them off along with brine recipes, etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-to-use-a-smoker/9ba683603be9fa5395fab90f6be364e

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That must be a big smoker, I’m thinking the one my son gave my daughter was a few hundred and it plenty big.

He abandoned the wood pellets and the electric and went back to charcoal.

Heres the one he brought me for my birthday and it’s awesome. Pour in your charcoal and monitor it on your cell phone.

It’s sweet being able to set the exact temperature you want.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/gravity-series-800-digital-charcoal-griddle-grill-smoker

Ripcord

Death from Above
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have never had a electric smoker and will probably be purchasing one next year.

I don't need the latest and greatest. Just one that is dependable and best bang for the buck. I don't need wifi on it.

This will be mainly for slow low heat for cured meats to finish the process. Homemade Summer sausage, hot dogs etc.

I do my grilling on charcoal.

So what are your experiences and recommendations. Will probably stay under $1000.

Thanks.
I bought a Pitboss Lockhart Series in the summer. Probably the best pellet smoker I have owned. Unfortunately they no longer make the Lockhart series, it’s now called the Oynx Series. Hope this helps. FYI when you do get a pellet smoker use only the best Lumber Jack Competition Blend. (Atwood’s)

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of these homemade cured products start at very low temps like 140° or close to it and progresses in stages so it needs to be pretty accurate with holding temperatures. With me butchering my own animals I'll need a pretty good capacity at times.

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
older American made traeger with an updated controller is the way to go in my opinion. I've got 2 older ones that are great, roll top lids, and very sturdy. I keep a tailgater version around for travel, and while it's very portable, they are just built to thin once they moved production outta the u.s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom