Better watch your kids closely

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, from the facts that we have, 5 or more people were involved. Two mothers (perhaps between 16 and 40), two kids (approx 4yo) and an elder lady (87). In NY (which once tried to ban a parent from riding her bicycle with her young daughter to school).

All parties should have a valid reason to be where they are.

To suppositions:
The mothers are probably conversing and watching for danger to their kids.
The kids are probably being kids, perhaps a bit rambunctious (They are ~ 4years old)
While the children are riding on the sidewalk (for whatever reason) one of them accidentally hits the elderly lady. How? Was he back turned? Was she coherent? I assume she was coming down the steps to goto the street. Or were they caught up in the moment, as kids can do, "racing" before the mothers noticed they were about to wipe this lady out?

I don't disagree with teaching kids respect - I do agree that it seems like a lot don't have the same level (or type) of respect as I did as a kid. (Or at least that I remember having...) but even most of the well behaved kids can cause trouble, generally from not thinking or understanding the situation...

That would make them mentally incompetent, right? Or does that only work for criminal cases?

Regardless, it's a cruddy situation...

cowmugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe this is more statistical evidence that the people of NYC are O2 deficient. Furthermore, studies are trending toward the courts being several grains below their needed Pb level.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
surely this isn't a serious post?? this has NOTHING to do with the story.... I could be wrong but somehow .... the idea that we need to help our elderly is a great idea and should be discussed in a proper situation, but this is not it..

I'm dead serious; it has to do with the several posts being made in this thread like the following:

your granma, who shouldn't have been out on the street anyway was too freaking slow to move out of the way

the old lady was being negligent by placing herself in a situation on a busy sidewalk where she could be bumped and injured from a fall.

when I'm in my 80's .... I won't be putting myself into situations where my age would put me in peril.
in front of her house?

And fragile things take extra care and if that means staying off of busy sidewalks less one gets bumped and fall then one stays off busy sidewalks.
going in an out of her home?

I had an assignment that required me to spend a lot of time in NY and some other eastern cities, and the "get out of my way or I'll kill you." is responsible for a lot of "accidents."
It is just sad to see that now being touted here in OK as reasonable, and it is not humane or reasonable.
:nolike:
I have not and will not comment on the referenced lawsuit itself, as none of us know any determinate facts about it.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Parents may have violated the law in NYC:
—AC § 19-176 Bicycle operation on sidewalks prohibited.
(3) The term "child" shall mean a person less than fourteen years of age.
b. No person shall ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk unless permitted by an official sign. A person who violates this subdivision may be issued a notice of violation and shall be liable for a civil penalty of not more than one hundred dollars which may be recovered in a proceeding before the environmental control board. http://www.bicycledefensefund.org/bikelaw.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom