Big Rail Workers Union Rejects Biden-Backed Labor Deal, Renews Strike Possibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that bugs me about a lot of news stories on union contract negotiations, is lack of detail. In other words, what each side wants. This one is an example. Union won't ratify. Seems like as a journalist, my next question would be, why? What are the main sticking points? Makes me ask why that detail is so hard to come by, so often.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that bugs me about a lot of news stories on union contract negotiations, is lack of detail. In other words, what each side wants. This one is an example. Union won't ratify. Seems like as a journalist, my next question would be, why? What are the main sticking points? Makes me ask why that detail is so hard to come by, so often.
I'm not sure what the hangup is, but you can bet the blame will be placed directly on the union here at OKshooters.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who's to say they haven't? Just because some reporter doesn't list it doesn't mean it's not available.
But isn't the question so obvious that it appears off to not ask it? We can't make a deal. Why? I can't think of any other question that even makes sense.

And I'm not talking about just this article. That information is glaringly absent in a lot of the reporting I've seen over the years when these things flare up.

My theory is that the information would not bolster public support.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But isn't the question so obvious that it appears off to not ask it? We can't make a deal. Why? I can't think of any other question that even makes sense.

And I'm not talking about just this article. That information is glaringly absent in a lot of the reporting I've seen over the years when these things flare up.

My theory is that the information would not bolster public support.
Could be.
Of course it could be like the air traffic controllers too. (ridiculous long hours, you want a sleepy controller directing your plane?)

I'd like to see more nurses organize and get better working conditions myself. The hours and patient/nurse ratio at some places is scary. I don't believe the personality of the average nurse tends to promote empowerment on the job, though. It's a shame. If steelworkers or coal miners were put in those situations there would be a lot more pushback on administration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom