Bio Diesel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done it (I have a steady supply of WVO), but I generally just mix it roughly 50/50 with diesel fuel. Use it in the tractor.

However. . .I learned an expensive lesson last year. I filter it quite fine for particles, but not for water. Ruined injectors in the tractor because it had too much water in it. I haven't done any in the past few months.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I ran a 6.0l and 7.3l powerstroke for about a year on WVO. The 6.0l would only run about 25% WVO to diesel...........the 7.3l would run 75% WVO to diesel. Once the price of diesel got back down, I quit...........it got old picking it up, filtering(down to 1 micron), mixing, etc. Did save a lot of money though.

Jango8753

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran a 6.0l and 7.3l powerstroke for about a year on WVO. The 6.0l would only run about 25% WVO to diesel...........the 7.3l would run 75% WVO to diesel. Once the price of diesel got back down, I quit...........it got old picking it up, filtering(down to 1 micron), mixing, etc. Did save a lot of money though.

Correct me if im wrong, but what you did was just simply filter old veg oils and mix with from the pump diesel? Does that cause any issues in the older trucks, your 7.3l for example.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong, but what you did was just simply filter old veg oils and mix with from the pump diesel? Does that cause any issues in the older trucks, your 7.3l for example.

A diesel motor will run on vegetable oil alone. It won't start that way, but if you start on diesel, let it warm up to operating temp then switch over it will run.

Yes....came from the restaurant, poured through a cloth to strain out the big stuff. Allowed to settle overnight, pumped from the top of the barrel through a 10m, 5m and then a 1 micron filter into another barrel where 15gal of filter WVO was mixed with 1 gal unleaded. Then pumped into the truck. Had to keep track of how much mixed fuel was in the 6.0l, it wasn't really practical for that engine. It shined in the 7.3l though.......the older, more mechanical the diesel, the easier it is to run the WVO.

Like what mtnboomer said, the older 6.9l and 7.3l fords with dual tanks were perfect for this application......diesel in one tank to start and shut down on, the other tank with WVO to run while going down the road. Our climate is almost too cold IMO to run WVO very reliably, without a heated tank, fuel lines, and pumps on the truck.

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Straight veggie oil is the way to go, not Bio Diesel. I use B20 Bio from a gas station all the time in my 7.3 Turbo F250 and it runs great and even improves mileage but should have installed a straight veggie oil system years ago.
Just a few thoughts:
1. QUESTION: You filtering straight veg to one micron?? Are you heating it? What sort of filter and pump and filter are you using?
2. Making Bio diesel is not easy or cheap. Washing and cleaning the final product is a real problem. Yes, it is great to run but would be a lot of work for someone who does not need to start and stop his truck often. Better to start the truck on diesel and after it is warm switch over to SVO
3. There are people that just mix SVO with Gasoline and some stuff sold on the internet (sorry, forget the name, Diesel Magic maybe?) that is nothing but cetane booster and methanol. I used to sell lots of WVO to a lady that used it in a little Jap pickup, not sure which one. Ran forever and used it summer and winter, but the truck must have given it up, cause she disappeared. Still, it had over 200000 miles.
4. And if you are not too tight and can still get real diesel fuel, just mix SVO with it. 50 - 50 works fine if it is warm but in winter, better back off to just a little bit of veggie oil. Oh, and carry a spare fuel filter with you all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom