Black coyote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the OSU wrestling match with my buddy. Afterwords we made two stands and on the last stand shot these two coyotes. We both pulled the trigger at the same time. Now we can both say she had a black coyote. The melanistic one is pretty rare I think.
89A0F1AB-539B-4ADA-8EE9-7FD66D5E7FE2.jpeg

Last edited:

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen them red, silver, grey, black and our own butt ugly mustard yaller ones that are around here. Must be something in these mountain rocks to stain it or something but it looks nasty. Even mange is an improvement.
The reddish ones I see sometimes in West Texas seem a lot larger. I think they are some kind of Red Mexican wolf but they say those are extinct down there so who knows. The few silver ones I have seen are the most beautiful, seen those in Arkansas but they are really rare.
That is a fairly dark one though. I have never seen one dark all over like that. Just mostly around head neck and face and back and tail.
I used to trap them way back in the day. I sometimes got as high as 60-75 dollars for one when I was a kid for a big, pretty colored one with a good thick creamy hide. That was a lot of money then. Those days are gone.
Hardest things in the wood to trap and if you can catch those you can catch anything. Being a wild type dog they got the best nose out there. They can smell the steel trap in the dirt and they know you by name if you got a habit of peeing at the gate before you open it. I even used to set traps with rubber gloves laying out my front seat of a pickup so I would never touch the ground.
Nice yotes and nice shooting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom