Black tip 30.06 vs 1" steel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought this stuff maybe 10 years ago and have never fired a round of it. Today I decided to get out the ole Winny 70 and see if it'll punch through a 1" thick blank from the laser cutter at work. I have to be honest, I'm kinda disappointed in it. I thought it would go right through but it didn't. Tried 4x with same result. It was on the ground with a cinder block backer so it didn't move much if any. None of the cores stuck in it either but you can see that were trying to do their job. I fired the last round at a small free hanging AR500 plate and it wrapped that chain around its beam twice, so that was kinda fun.

AYR 55 and AYR 56 headstamp FWIW
20221210_154743.jpg
20221210_154939.jpg
20221210_154930.jpg
20221210_155001.jpg

Oh well.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go and read the specs on M2 AP , its not a miracle worker but it drills through most stuff you're likely to encounter with ease including concrete , large trees and quite a bit of steel including some Ar500

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought this stuff maybe 10 years ago and have never fired a round of it. Today I decided to get out the ole Winny 70 and see if it'll punch through a 1" thick blank from the laser cutter at work. I have to be honest, I'm kinda disappointed in it. I thought it would go right through but it didn't. Tried 4x with same result. It was on the ground with a cinder block backer so it didn't move much if any. None of the cores stuck in it either but you can see that were trying to do their job. I fired the last round at a small free hanging AR500 plate and it wrapped that chain around its beam twice, so that was kinda fun.

AYR 55 and AYR 56 headstamp FWIWView attachment 327685View attachment 327686View attachment 327687View attachment 327692

Oh well.

What steel are you using ?

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to work with a lot of A36 years ago when I was a boiler maker and while it is structural its not the hardest stuff by any means when it comes to alloys . My guess is it might be something a tad harder than A36 .

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought this stuff when I lived in Waco at the local gun clubs yearly swap meet. Paid the guy, picked up my ammo can and walked a few tables down when I hear someone yell "Stop that man!!!!"

I turned to look and the guy was PISSED and mean mugging me. I come back and asked what was up and he accused me of shorting him. I said count again please and he did and started looking at me stupid, then counted again and was like "oh my bad, you're good".

Yeah, jackasss, maybe learn to count before you yell accusations to someone.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought this stuff when I lived in Waco at the local gun clubs yearly swap meet. Paid the guy, picked up my ammo can and walked a few tables down when I hear someone yell "Stop that man!!!!"

I turned to look and the guy was PISSED and mean mugging me. I come back and asked what was up and he accused me of shorting him. I said count again please and he did and started looking at me stupid, then counted again and was like "oh my bad, you're good".

Yeah, jackasss, maybe learn to count before you yell accusations to someone.
Nearly all of the time I count the money and then make the other person count as well. Last time I didn't as it was someone I did some business with in the past. Later on I realized I gave him too much. He'd given me fantastic pricing on our deals though, so I was actually pretty cool with that. But yeah, in Waco especially I wouldn't trust people to count LOL. Even the Baylor kids.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
3/8" mild steel @100m is the usual standard. For official testing, M2 AP is the cartridge used for ballistic armor and windows to this day, although there are foreign substitutes in some cases.
It won't go through AR500 either, but those are some pretty good holes and backside deformation, so I'd say it did what it's supposed to do for 1" steel. The penetrator will disintegrate or spall out most of the time if it doesn't punch through. Get a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" and see.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, a buddy worked at a facility that did weld testing on 1" steel. In the process, they had lots of drop off the saw that was 1" thick, 8"X8" squares.
It all went to the scrap pile, so he got permission to take some out.
We decided to make a backstop for high power rifle rounds on our private range.
I got busy welding this into a 5'X5' square plate with welds on both sides of the plates.
45 degree angle, supported by 2" pipe in the front, thinking the rounds would deflect into the ground. (late 1980's)
They didn't. Even at 45 degrees, the mild steel using 30-06 165 grain got craters like the OP's pics with soft points, just not as deep. Probably 3/8" deep, but a large crater. We had a friend with a .300 win mag shooting 180 grain soft points that performed exactly as the AP in the OP's pics including external dimples in the back of the plates.
That scared us so we put a double wall of railroad ties behind the angled plate and backfilled behind them with dirt.
Shot there for a few more years, finally moving to a real range. It's still in that pasture. I need to talk to the owner that's a friend and see if I can go get it.
Be cool to show all the damage high powered rifles did to it. We shot it a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom