Black tip 30.06 vs 1" steel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i wouldnt shoot hardened steel with that stuff.or anything at close range.. sometimes the hardened core penetrator bounces back ,right to the shooter,, people have been killed that way,,

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
i wouldnt shoot hardened steel with that stuff.or anything at close range.. sometimes the hardened core penetrator bounces back ,right to the shooter,, people have been killed that way,,
I would, all day. Target position/orientation is how you mitigate it. Tungsten penetrators usually stick, steel penetrators almost always usually disintegrate. 100m minimum, but 200 is better.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
someones LIFE is worth more than "usually"...last thing we need is another "news" artice on how someone at a shooting range got killed by shooting AP ammo..

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By no means saying steel penetrators don't disintegrate, but when I was teaching at various ranges where green tip 556 ammo was issued we would find literally pounds and pounds of those little steel penetrators everywhere after shooting steel for a couple days. I've seen literally millions of them at Guernsey and Irwin. Now those are not a steel core, and I get that, but they are going fairly fast and you would think that they would disintegrate.
Orientation is very much the key, and some of you would down right cringe at how close some of the steel is being shot on some ranges, but they have about a 25-30° down angle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom