Braums in Tuttle, Navy vs USMC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day I was part of a joint services installation team, installing Satellite systems to replace the undersea cables to the Pacific Rim.

One of our stops was Subic Bay in the Philippines. Of course at the end of the day we hit the local watering holes, and I can say this without any doubt. An Army guy can call a Marine a jarhead, or leatherneck, and a Navy guy a swabbie, or paint chipper, and get a smile and an offer to share a beer.

None of that happens between the swabbies and jar heads. Its a full out fight. Tables broken, bars destroyed, Shore Patrol involved. Nights in the brig. Craziest thing I've ever seen.

Ahem....

....could the little bit above in bold be because neither the Navy or the Marines want to mess with the Army?

Just for perspective, most of my uncles fought in the Navy in WWII in the Pacific theater. When 1966 came around and I enlisted in the Army, I caught all kinds of h*ll from them about going Army. I simply stated that I'd rather sit out in the rain and let it run off of me than sit out in the water, dog-paddling, wondering where the h*ll the rescue craft were or how far away land was. (I can swim, but I don't like swimming all that much. I can walk or crawl if needed.)

Oddly enough, while the uncles grew silent for a while, they still came back to rib me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ahem....

....could the little bit above in bold be because neither the Navy or the Marines want to mess with the Army?

Just for perspective, most of my uncles fought in the Navy in WWII in the Pacific theater. When 1966 came around and I enlisted in the Army, I caught all kinds of h*ll from them about going Army. I simply stated that I'd rather sit out in the rain and let it run off of me than sit out in the water, dog-paddling, wondering where the h*ll the rescue craft were or how far away land was. (I can swim, but I don't like swimming all that much. I can walk or crawl if needed.)

Oddly enough, while the uncles grew silent for a while, they still came back to rib me.

I'll bet you an Army CID investigation that no, it isn't. On their base no less! ;)

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1551481_425914480881049_1112634790035285134_n.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ahem....

HAHA! as much as I want to agree with you about the ARMY being BOSS, its probably interservice rivalry for the truff. :D

I came from a Navy family as well, and was the errant soul that became a ground pounder. Grandpa in WWI, Dad and three uncles in WWII, and a Younger uncle in the Korean war.

Just a little trivia from an Army recruiter in Oklahoma: He said he has issues getting recruits into the Army as most want to go to the Navy. Seems our land locked volunteers want to see the world on a ship.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
HAHA! as much as I want to agree with you about the ARMY being BOSS, its probably interservice rivalry for the truff. :D

I came from a Navy family as well, and was the errant soul that became a ground pounder. Grandpa in WWI, Dad and three uncles in WWII, and a Younger uncle in the Korean war.

Just a little trivia from an Army recruiter in Oklahoma: He said he has issues getting recruits into the Army as most want to go to the Navy. Seems our land locked volunteers want to see the world on a ship.

A woman in every Port. A beer in every bar.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thats one of the reasons I joined the Navy. Ended up getting my first 2 years shore duty in Virginia :P

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a serious note, I owe my life to a couple of Navy Corpsmen, the crew of an Army MedEvac Huey, some Army Nurses and Army Docs.

This is one very lucky Marine that is grateful for ALL who serve!

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
On a serious note, I owe my life to a couple of Navy Corpsmen, the crew of an Army MedEvac Huey, some Army Nurses and Army Docs.

This is one very lucky Marine that is grateful for ALL who serve!

As a Corpsman, ill tell ya this. When a Marine or Soldier becomes our Patient, God himself cant stop us from trying our best to save ya.

There has always been a different bond between Navy Corpsman and Marines.

I was also in the Army(11B), we didnt have the same bond with our medics as Corpsman n Marines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom