Breach Loading the first round in your CCW (semi-auto)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got into an interesting conversation the other day with a friend about loading his CCW by way of breach loading the first round so that you don't get the deep case seating from chambering the first round in the mag (after slamming it into the feedramp) over and over again.

Does anyone do this? I can't really see anything ultimately dangerous about doing it - I've always been under the impression that you shouldn't breach-load any rounds into a semi-automatic handgun, but I also understand that if you take your CCW down on a monthly basis to clean, inspect, etc... re-chambering the first round over and over again is ultimately asking for the deep-seating problems that go along with slamming the same carteridge into the feedramp over and over again.

I don't know, but I thought I'd ask to get some opinions. Has anyone ever practiced this regularly? Is it safe/dangerous? Any issues?

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I mag load first round then drop mag and put another round in. I also alternate between ball and hollow points in each mag. When I go to the range I also pull all the ammo out of mags and shoot the ball and replace with new ammo.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why the alternating with ball and hp's? Trying to save money?

Grandpa did it and I have always done it to. I am guessing ball vs. hollow point on heavy clothes, angled glass (stopping BG from running you over), size and penetration of hole? Could be more but cost would be a good one as well. I know I don't want to be hit with anything coming out of a gun but .45 ball makes one hell of a hole....
My wife on the other hand will only shoot blue tip rounds.

pete156

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Breach loading is hard on the extractor because it has to jump over the case lip as opposed to being fed up and under like with mag loading.

Over time you're asking for a broken extractor.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Breach loading is hard on the extractor because it has to jump over the case lip as opposed to being fed up and under like with mag loading.

Over time you're asking for a broken extractor.

+1 on that. I broke the extractor on my Kahr .40. It was covered under warrenty, but the tech support guy told me it was from dropping one in the chamber. Their advice is to always load from the mag.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drop one in he chamber when I load up. I carry glock so I don't have to worry about the extractor breaking. Come on don't be hatin', somebody had to say it. The extractor getting broken seems to me like it's certainly possible. But then I sometimes wonder what part the spring for the extractor plays. Seems like the spring would allow the extractor to pivot and simply ride over the rim with no ill effect. Also, the front of the extractor is profiled in a way to seemingly help it ride over the rim. I don't now anything, just speculating. As for me I drop one in the chamber, pull back on the slide till the slide stop drops, ease the slide forward about a quarter inch then let it fly. I do wonder sometimes if I'm beating up the extractor though. I think one for a glock costs about $10.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess the answer depends on if the pistol is a controlled-feed pistol or not. Even if it is, that doesn't guarantee that it's bad for the extractor. Are most semi-auto pistols controlled-feed?

Latest posts

Top Bottom