Breaking: ATF Changes Their Mind On Pistol Braces AGAIN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This hot mess is why I never considered getting a "pistol" with a brace . ATF is way too fickle and has too much unchecked authority for me to engage in playing their games with them. This is retro active rule making at its finest .

The sputter gun

16.25 inch barrels are legal now but they weren't at one time , there are pre1899 winchester trappers with barrels shorter than allowed by the NFA and exempt unless they aren't . Ahh and open bolt semi autos that were deemed to easy to convert so you can't have em now days and the ones out there command stupid money .

Oh don't for get the Street Sweeper and USAS 12 and on and on and on .

This stuff isn't even new and until the ATF gets reigned in and actually regulated by Congress it will continue

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I remove my brace, smash it with a sledge hammer and burn it, but I have a couple stocks laying around for my rifle length AR's, so is that now a "constructible" SBR? Am I a felon? Either their too stupid to write a comprehensible rule or their intentionally trying to write it to entrap as many as possible... Wait...maybe it's BOTH!!!

Better question; let's say you've got an AR pistol, no brace. You also have 2-3 16"+ AR rifles, complete.

Since you have several lowers the pistol upper will pin directly on, is that now a "constructible SBR"? The lowers aren't spare parts, they're part of another rifle. Are you now a felon? It's complete BS.

I don't have an SBR, and I don't want one, I have no need, but this BS is out of hand. The SBR & SBS rules (and go ahead and toss in suppressors) are some of the most incomprehensible BS I've ever heard of, and yes, I think they are intentionally trying to write theses rules (not laws, rules) in order to entrap otherwise legal gun owners, or possibly to be able to stack charge after charge after charge on to some knucklehead that is otherwise already in a heap of trouble. I don't know their reasoning, but it's all BS.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Better question; let's say you've got an AR pistol, no brace. You also have 2-3 16"+ AR rifles, complete.

Since you have several lowers the pistol upper will pin directly on, is that now a "constructible SBR"? The lowers aren't spare parts, they're part of another rifle. Are you now a felon? It's complete BS.

I don't have an SBR, and I don't want one, I have no need, but this BS is out of hand. The SBR & SBS rules (and go ahead and toss in suppressors) are some of the most incomprehensible BS I've ever heard of, and yes, I think they are intentionally trying to write theses rules (not laws, rules) in order to entrap otherwise legal gun owners, or possibly to be able to stack charge after charge after charge on to some knucklehead that is otherwise already in a heap of trouble. I don't know their reasoning, but it's all BS.
I think it is meant to be confusing and even the ATF director just lied under oath and said removal is all that is required.

But you are right, I suppose if they had wanted to be militant even before this rule change, they could have said anyone who owns an AR pistol and an AR rifle was constructable LOL. It would be interesting to see if there was ever a test case for that and what the outcome was. I also don't own any braced weapons but I would imagine the majority of people who do/did also owned a regular 16" barrel AR with a stock.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
........................but I would imagine the majority of people who do/did also owned a regular 16" barrel AR with a stock.

Of course they do, that's what makes it so utterly ridiculous.

Dumbest **** ever.

Ever read why SBR's are not legal?

https://www.google.com/search?q=why are SBR's illegal

The reasoning for the restrictions on short-barrelled rifles and shotguns was not because they are more dangerous, but rather to prevent circumventing of the act's ban on handguns. However, the handgun ban was removed from the act prior to it being passed.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course they do, that's what makes it so utterly ridiculous.

Dumbest **** ever.

Ever read why SBR's are not legal?

https://www.google.com/search?q=why are SBR's illegal

The reasoning for the restrictions on short-barrelled rifles and shotguns was not because they are more dangerous, but rather to prevent circumventing of the act's ban on handguns. However, the handgun ban was removed from the act prior to it being passed.
The explanation you provided figures LOL. Lotta gov't stuff like that. Look up how OBN was formed...it was the result of a political dispute in the 1970's...

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Also . . . you've got a couple of barrels under 16". If the brace = an SBR how long until the barrel by itself also = an SBR?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also . . . you've got a couple of barrels under 16". If the brace = an SBR how long until the barrel by itself also = an SBR?
Even better question, how long before they realize AR parts are interchangeable? Very sad that a metal card or metal shaving can be thought of as a machine gun. All of this is not by accident. It won't be long until a collection of pipes, springs and boards will be considered a machine gun. Scary dog deposit.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell that to Matt Hoover...
Oh I’m sure he understands what I’m saying now (as far as KGB goes). Problem is that he was running around with a bunch of auto sears in his pocket and calling them novelty items. Then he puts them on YouTube. Not the brightest idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom