Breaking: ATF Changes Their Mind On Pistol Braces AGAIN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn’t see any requirement to give money to join. FPC is a nonprofit. As far as I know all you have to do is register on their site to be a member. After registering I decided to give them monthly contributions, not because I need to for any reason, I just really like what they’re doing. I don’t own any pistol braces (yet), but I can’t resist my desire to “stick it to the man.”
I did click around and finally find where to join for free. Can't wait to learn the secret handshake and get my decoder ring.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one was ever "exempt". They were just invented to assist certain disabled people with shooting.
This rule does not affect “stabilizing braces” that are objectively designed and intended as a “stabilizing brace” for use by individuals with disabilities, and not for shouldering the weapon as a rifle. Such stabilizing braces are designed to conform to the arm and not as a buttstock. This rule is effective on January 31, 2023, the date it was published in the Federal Register. If the firearm with the “stabilizing brace” is a short-barreled rifle, affected person have 120 days from the date of publication to register the firearm tax-free, which is May 31, 2023.

Hawkstar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was one way to update their database for all of you evil black gun owners.
That's my thought all along. Just another way to get a registry of guns that they don't have yet. They don't care about a brace or a stock. A gun is no more or less safe simply because it had it's number registered and a stamp assigned . But know they have a good start at finding it when that day comes.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This rule does not affect “stabilizing braces” that are objectively designed and intended as a “stabilizing brace” for use by individuals with disabilities, and not for shouldering the weapon as a rifle. Such stabilizing braces are designed to conform to the arm and not as a buttstock. This rule is effective on January 31, 2023, the date it was published in the Federal Register. If the firearm with the “stabilizing brace” is a short-barreled rifle, affected person have 120 days from the date of publication to register the firearm tax-free, which is May 31, 2023.

Have you seen the "objective criteria" worksheet? It's a nightmare. And it still doesn't exempt anyone specifically. If your brace is "objectively" determined to turn your pistol into an SBR, you're affected whether you're disabled or not. There's also other criteria they factor in like the overall length and weight of the firearm.

No one is exempt from the stupidity of the bureaucrats at the ATF.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you seen the "objective criteria" worksheet? It's a nightmare. And it still doesn't exempt anyone specifically. If your brace is "objectively" determined to turn your pistol into an SBR, you're affected whether you're disabled or not. There's also other criteria they factor in like the overall length and weight of the firearm.

The objective criteria work sheet. It is pretty much a resurrection of the Bill Clinton Assault Weapon ban and what it stated. The weight of the pistol and certain features, this all is a copy and past from the 94 to 2004 criteria. This is some progressive liberal POS Democrats wet dream. This is democrat ATF fiat overreach that can’t pass a normal congressional vote.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I believe the ATF dropped that worksheet from the final rule.

Latest posts

Top Bottom