Bringing your gun to your work parking lot? Legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried to look on the OSBI website, but just wanted to get some clarification from you guys. The major retail company I work for does not allow firearms on their property or in the stores by employees it says in the policies and procedures. However I thought we passed a law that states they cannot terminate us now because of that? Is that correct, or does my employer still have the right to fire me if I leave my gun in my truck even with my CCW?

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to OK Statutes, you should be able to leave your gun in your locked vehicle without fear of repercussions so long as it is not a prohibited area. You should be fine in a retail setting.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK is an at will employment state, and you can be fired at any time for no reason. If the employer has enough sense to word your termination correctly, you're gone.
The people who were fired originally for having guns stayed fired even after all the court battles.
You can sue for damages. IANAL

TITLE 21 § 1290.22 BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS
A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.
B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom