Butt-Out Tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for splitting the pelvis a large knife works wonders. There's a knack to it and it's hard to explain, but you actually go just to one side of the center of the main bone and kind of between the "joints" along it's length, jab hard and twist hard. It'll open right up. But you have to hit that sweet spot.

A Kabar type knife is called for, not your normal Buck 110 folder.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for splitting the pelvis a large knife works wonders. There's a knack to it and it's hard to explain, but you actually go just to one side of the center of the main bone and kind of between the "joints" along it's length, jab hard and twist hard. It'll open right up. But you have to hit that sweet spot.

A Kabar type knife is called for, not your normal Buck 110 folder.

Some guys just don't get it. LOL

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't have to split the pelvis! All you need is a long knife, preferably not to wide. All you do is start coring his butthole just like an apple, working the knife deep in and around his intestine. Then when you get the guts loose inside, you just get a good hold on it and pull it all out from the inside.

packrat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to split the pelvis! All you need is a long knife, preferably not to wide. All you do is start coring his butthole just like an apple, working the knife deep in and around his intestine. Then when you get the guts loose inside, you just get a good hold on it and pull it all out from the inside.

I do it just like this except before pulling it in, I pull it out some and tie it off with a twist-tie from a bread sack to make sure nothing sneaks out while I am pulling it through. Guess I'm just a little anal!

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah. the apple core thing but just for the outer skin. then the butt out tool. tie it off. finish cleaning and pull through.

I've never split the pelvis field dressing. Many years before the butt out tool still did the apple core thing and pulled down and tied off then pulled back through with the rest of the guts. the tool makes the pulling much easier.

I thought this was the way everyone field dressed. maybe I was sent to a different school as everyone else.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To split the pelvis, I use a wire saw. Its been around for many years. Ranchers use them to dehorn goats, etc.
A company has modified the wire with some handles that allow one to push it through the pelvis, then seperate the handles, and saw through it. Works great.

This is what Dennis is talking about. I've got one too and that's what I use to split the pelvis. Can usually get 3-4 deer done before the blade gets dull and need a refill.

Zip Saw

So,..if you do the apple core method or Butt-Out method, you cut around/release the the pucker and pull it thru to the inside.

Then what do you do with the bladder, go back in with the long knife and try to cut around it as well..?

The bladder is the only thing that gives me problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom