Buying a new gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a pin number for NICS. Shows you are not someone else and that you have had a supplemental background check to determine you are cool to get a proceed. Works best if you file electronically vs calling in a check

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since there is a convicted sex offender in New York state with the same name that I have, I always include my SSN on the form. I have never been delayed.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In some states, a CCW license allows one to forgo the NICS check; that used to be so here, but is no longer the case anymore in Oklahoma. It doesn't matter if you have a license to carry a firearm or not. You still fill out the 4473 and you still go through the process. If you get "delayed" a lot, but in a day or two, you get a "proceed" then having a UPIN may help with you getting a "proceed" faster.

I got delayed one time a few years back and some research found a lawyer in ... I think it was Connecticut, who had been charged with murdering his wife who had the same name as me. (I didn't do it though, but I still got a damned delay). Sometime the next day, they realized I was not the same guy as the murderous lawyer and gave me a "proceed" so it was no big deal. My NICS check in that case actually took about 24 hours.

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you all are a bunch of criminals.
41iaRlGAZqL._SY346_.jpg

http://amzn.to/2vfgWYD

Latest posts

Top Bottom