Buying a new firearm on line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always check!

I found a rifle at a dealer in South Carolina. Asked for quote on out the door, shipped to mighty mouse for transfer.

His quote included SC sales tax. I informed him, no sale tax on out of tax shipments. He responded that I was correct, the sales tax was Oklahoma. I told him Oklahoma didn't charge sales tax on out of state purchases. He said he always sales tax "to protect himself".

He called a week later, asking for order. I informed him I was "protecting myself from fraudulent and unscrupulous sellers." Then, hung up on his rant.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma Use Tax Every state with a sales tax has a companion tax for purchases made outside the state. In Oklahoma, that tax is called “use tax”. If you have purchased items for use in Oklahoma from retailers who do not collect Oklahoma sales tax whether by mail order, catalog, television shopping networks, radio, internet, phone or in person, you owe Oklahoma use tax on those items. Use tax is paid by the buyer when the Oklahoma sales tax has not been collected by the seller. Individuals in Oklahoma are responsible for paying use tax on their out-of-state purchases. Examples of items that are subject to sales tax include books, compact discs, computer equipment, computer software, electronics, clothing, appliances, furniture, sporting goods and jewelry. When an out-of-state retailer does not collect Oklahoma sales tax, the responsibility of paying the tax falls on the purchaser.
Use tax is calculated at the same rate as sales tax, which varies by city and county

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma Use Tax Every state with a sales tax has a companion tax for purchases made outside the state. In Oklahoma, that tax is called “use tax”. If you have purchased items for use in Oklahoma from retailers who do not collect Oklahoma sales tax whether by mail order, catalog, television shopping networks, radio, internet, phone or in person, you owe Oklahoma use tax on those items. Use tax is paid by the buyer when the Oklahoma sales tax has not been collected by the seller. Individuals in Oklahoma are responsible for paying use tax on their out-of-state purchases. Examples of items that are subject to sales tax include books, compact discs, computer equipment, computer software, electronics, clothing, appliances, furniture, sporting goods and jewelry. When an out-of-state retailer does not collect Oklahoma sales tax, the responsibility of paying the tax falls on the purchaser.
Use tax is calculated at the same rate as sales tax, which varies by city and county

I wonder how this is enforced and has anyone been been 'caught' for being ignorant of the rules.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I wonder how this is enforced and has anyone been been 'caught' for being ignorant of the rules."

YES.

OK State Income Tax Form 511, line 19.
• If you purchased items for use in Oklahoma from retailers who do not collect Oklahoma sales tax, you owe use tax on those items. For more information on use tax, see pages 13-14.

19 Use tax due on Internet, mail order, or other out-of-state purchases...................................................................... 19 (For use tax table, see page 14 of the Packet) If you certify that no use tax is due, place an ‘X’ here

Ignorance of the tax law is no excuse for filing an incomplete return.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bud's has been charging tax for me since 2021 (9.967%). I also only shop there if I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else. I do highly recommend a shop in MT, where there is no sales tax collection. Skogen's Gun Supply.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why don’t you try to buy your guns from a local gun shop? Chances are they will do everything they can to match an online price. Plus, when you purchase online you’re either going to pay sales tax then, or when you file your state income tax. Buying local keeps small business going, helping families survive in this trying time. You buy from KYGUNS, PSA or BUD’S you help the CEO pay for his third house, when you buy local you help someone put beans on the table for his kids.

Latest posts

Top Bottom