Buying first house - advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the sellers to fork out homeowner's warranty, It only costs them a few bucks more but if the AC unit goes, you call the guys on the warranty and they replace it.
Try to get a corner house if possible. With a fire hydrant in the yard or across the street if possible. Beware of houses built in the 60's to mid 70's. Aluminum wiring was used building entire houses during the rise in copper prices in that period. If your prospective house was built during that period, make sure the home inspector does his job checking for this.
I've had two (drive by) inspections where they did not do their job but I found it.
I could give you the name of a really good realtor. She really works hard for you.
I will use her company over and over.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure you get a really good and honest inspector to inspect the house. And if there are any issues make sure and have the homeowners to fix them before you will buy.
That's almost impossible unless you pay three or four and they come up with the same recommendations.
When we were shopping for our last house, the realtors sent out an inspector that they have on their speed dial. They will approve almost anything unless it's glaringly obvious.
I'm totally familiar with electrical, plumbing and Mechanical industrial. The house we live in now was "inspected" and passed. When he left, I inspected by removing the breaker panel cover, opening several outlets, the water well and a couple of the the electrical wall connections, and found several violations that would not meet electrical or plumbing code. One that stood out was a piece of 10 ga electrical three conductor SO cable coming out of the sheet rock that fed the electric water heater. The insulation had split and there was exposed wiring in the cracks of the wire within the cable. Went around the house opening and closing the hose bibs and found one leaking later. A small pile of what looked like rubber gasket material was under the bib. Used to stop a seat leak in the bib.
The water well was a nightmare of wiring and plumbing.
After noting all the violations, the previous owners fixed them. There has been some plumbing issues that have cropped up over the 30 years we have lived there that were direct result of poor plumbing from the 3/10 mile water line they laid but those had to be corrected by me at a large expense.
Beware of home inspectors is my final word. Get more than one.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with Gunbuffer that said to get a good realtor to take care of all the issues everyone else is talking about. Also, dependent on your financial situation, how much money you make, if your are compensated with quarterly/yearly bonus', etc, then you may not want to wrap your property taxes into your mortgage. We've never lumped them together but we are also not talking about the same size mortgage. I wouldn't have my insurance included in my monthly payments either. I prefer to keep it all separated.

Everyone else mentioned good advice. Cheapest home in the hood and you really should be good with home repair and maintenance or at least be willing to learn. Best of luck and have fun during the process.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you that $125K came out to about $1100 per month after the Cleveland County Assessor and State Farm got done. 30 year fixed, FWIW. The worst part was the Assessor, who apparently pulled his numbers out of his butt.
Assessors are so full of crap. They have no idea of reality. We get this increase every year and when I contest it every year, they back off.
We live on a road that floods, gravel and has a slope that is impossible to navigate in the winter without a 4WD. (I'd invite you 2WD commando's to try it, our postal service won't deliver in bad weather). We have no neighbors other than one hundreds of yards away that we can't see. The assessor compares it to the homes three miles away in a high dollar community with asphalt roads, curbs, drainage, and so on that are valued much more than ours.
It's not hard to beat the assessor with a protest, but they get a little every year even with a protest.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stay the hell away from OSU
The farther away the cheaper the price.
Pay enough down to be less than 80% of loan to appraisal so you don't pay PMI.
PMI is just a giant rip-off going in somebody's pocket $50-75 a month or more.
Try $129 a month!! That is what my pmi is. I went with the fha so I wouldn’t have to put 20% down and this is what I get for it. But I didn’t have 20% to put down on my house. This was the only way I could afford it. But you are right. It’s a rip off.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you that $125K came out to about $1100 per month after the Cleveland County Assessor and State Farm got done. 30 year fixed, FWIW. The worst part was the Assessor, who apparently pulled his numbers out of his butt.
My house is $1405 a month with insurance, taxes and pmi. My house was $185,000. So yes they are full of crap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom