Camera Recommendations for geral photography

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to try to see if I like photography as a hobby. I would like recommendations for a general, basic camera for a beginner. Also, any websites on where to buy good used equipment for others upgrading.
What websites for information for a beginner?
Thanks for any ideas or tips...

Correction. That's "general" photography.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I presume that you are referring to using a digital camera. In that case, there are a lot of good cameras out there that will work for "general" photography.

In a point and shoot, I would look for anything with at least a 6 or 8 megapixel, but 10 or better would be best. Also, with regards to the lens, what you want to look for is the best "optical" zoom that you can get. Ignore a camera that is low in optical but long on digital zoom. Digital zoom is basically the camera looking at the image and "averaging" the pixels to get in closer.

If you are wanting to go with an SLR (Single Lens Reflex like the image in my signature), then one would need to have the answers to several questions before one could know what to look for.

When looking for a camera, I recommend a website called Pbase. They have a link on there entitled "Cameras" where one can choose the brand name one has an interest in and then select specific models as well. With Pbase, you will see sample images taken by everyone from rank amateurs to serious professionals, although you have to watch for some that are seriously post-processed. If you look at photos on a manufacturer's website, you will likely see images taken only by professionals. By seeing what amateurs have done with that brand/model of camera, one can get a pretty fair idea of the capability and quality of the camera.

The aforementioned websites are good for research, but when in the forum areas, they will get very technical. A couple that I like for learning are:

Anne McKinnell Photography (A site where there are some e-books about photography, although most of it will be related to SLR's but general photographic terms and procedures are mentioned.)

Cambridge in Color

While some of these may be almost overpowering with some technical stuff, they are still good for learning. If you are good at observing and learning to understand photography, the images on Pbase are good for getting ideas for photos to take, whether they be portrait, landscape, microphotography, or others. Just looking gives one a good idea of what others are doing and when one imitates the others, you can be surprised at what can be done.

The type of camera is not as important as learning composure, lighting, and other techniques. When you really get into technical, then you will want the better SLR camera choices. If you are interested and want to contact me for any other recommendations, contact me via private message and we might be able to get together. I live fairly near to Edmond.

Latest posts

Top Bottom