Camoflauge/Scents/Covers/Calls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Use Camo/scents/calls for deer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know many many many people use these during deer hunting.
I use to... But for the past few years I haven't used anything.

No camo clothing.(just a OU camo hat from walmart)
No doe pee, estrus, cover scents, etc..
No buck grunts, doe bleats, rattles, etc..

I have been harvesting deer in blues jeans and white tee shirts. (Grey jacket when it is cold). I smoke cigs and even munch on a mid-day snack when hunting. I even have an occasional conversation with my hunting buddy Just this last ML season I had a 2 bucks, 1 spike and many does walk within 25yards of me. Last year I was sitting at the base of a tree and a young
6 point buck came from behind and was sprinting back and forth WITHIN 15 yards. I don't understand. I am a ghost or what???

If so, I'm a big damn ghost @ 6'6" 330lbs.

Is there anyone else out there that doesn't use these over marketed/over priced tools?
I'm not hating on anyone that does use that stuff, more power to ya. Don't hate on me though.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do wear camo when bowhunting and predator calling but not rifle hunting. Seems I see just as many deer and just as close without camo. I have not bought any scent in years. Never seemed to do me any good. I think it is one of those things that might work sometimes but not often enough for me to justify spending the money on it. I have had grunt calls work sometimes and I usually carry one in case I see a big deer and want to turn him.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on how I'm hunting. If I'm in my box blind, it's not really necessary except for the calls. But, If I'm putting on a stalk I use all of them.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do wear camo when bowhunting and predator calling but not rifle hunting. Seems I see just as many deer and just as close without camo. I have not bought any scent in years. Never seemed to do me any good. I think it is one of those things that might work sometimes but not often enough for me to justify spending the money on it. I have had grunt calls work sometimes and I usually carry one in case I see a big deer and want to turn him.

I think bowhunters have a MUCH better excuse for camo.
I just can't see why a hunter would buy $400 worth of camo clothing, sit INSIDE a camo hunting blind of tower of some sort and shoot a deer at 85 yards or whatever. That.... seems like a fashion thing to me.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i don't think camo is important in the gun seasons when your wearin an orange vest anyway. only scent i use is a little coon pee cover sent

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wear camo for most all seasons.
For a couple of reasons.
During archery, it does provide a breakup of your outline.
The rest of the time its for comfort, warmth, and very importantly pockets.
Jeans are not the best in the world for warmth.
The camo that I have is all in the cargo pants style with lots of pockets to store stuff in if I want to travel light.
Its made of fleece, or other silent, comfortable material, and can be bought in different weights, to be worn at different temperatures.
I have some for normal fall temps, with mornings in the 50's+, others for mornings in the 30's+, and a fully insulated set for 0 degree temps. I spend a lot of time in stands and blinds, so being warm and comfortable is required.

I don't use scents except for some scent-away with earth scent, and no calls, no rattles.

Airic

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm pretty meticulous about scent and camo. I've heard people say that if they had to do as much work as I do, they wouldnt go hunting. None of them have ever been close enough to poke a deer with an arrow either.

Its a mindset thing for me, and part of the fun.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the above. I eat beans the night before. Get out to my hunting spot sit down and fart. I have automatically created a green cloud which doubles as a blind and camo, the smell memics that of some of the scents on the market(pure crap) and the sound is a lot like a grunt call with a few bleats mixed in for good measure.

If I can keep this up for a few hours I won't even need a rifle. Any deer that comes near will fall over dead.

In all seriousness. I'm using a sent killer this year. Standard real tree camo top and bottom. There are cows on the property so the foot scent is covered by poo. No calls needed.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the above. I eat beans the night before. Get out to my hunting spot sit down and fart. I have automatically created a green cloud which doubles as a blind and camo, the smell memics that of some of the scents on the market(pure crap) and the sound is a lot like a grunt call with a few bleats mixed in for good measure.

If I can keep this up for a few hours I won't even need a rifle. Any deer that comes near will fall over dead.

In all seriousness. I'm using a sent killer this year. Standard real tree camo top and bottom. There are cows on the property so the foot scent is covered by poo. No calls needed.

:lmfao: Sounds like something I would do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom