Camoflauge/Scents/Covers/Calls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Use Camo/scents/calls for deer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am usually in a pair of wally world wangler camo jeans and my lucky deer killing shirt (plain tan long sleeve bought from the now destroyed outlet mall in Stroud). I did break down and by some wool bibs and jacket a couple of years ago, well worth the money.

As for scent, we hunt in SE Oklahoma and after a few miles on the dusty roads on the ATV I have a nice layer of Three Rivers dust that I truly believe is the best cover. I will also use a fresh earth wafer in my stand.

My ML buck this year was within 29 yards.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't worry a lot about camo but always use a cover sent of some sort such coon pee, red fox urine or my favorite is cedar. A grunt call will sometimes work to stop a moving deer and maybe turn them toward you.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i wear all the scent lok gear and the wind can be horrible for me and it will blow right it there face and never seem to care so something good is working. also last weekend had a small four point follow me out of my tree stand 15ft to my camera and he got within 1 foot of my back i thought he was going to lick me!!! i should have just grabbed his rack and gave him a swift kick in the arse and call him stupid and to get back in there your suppose to be afraid of me hahahahaha thought that was funny as hell kinda scared me for a min didnt know what he was about to do. we finally made eye contact and he backed up about 2 feet and made a cirlce going around me in a 6ft area then wondered back in the woods. so some of the stuff has to work. i dont know about the doe pee as i try it every year but i have not had anything come right to it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i wear all the scent lok gear and the wind can be horrible for me and it will blow right it there face and never seem to care so something good is working. also last weekend had a small four point follow me out of my tree stand 15ft to my camera and he got within 1 foot of my back i thought he was going to lick me!!! i should have just grabbed his rack and gave him a swift kick in the arse and call him stupid and to get back in there your suppose to be afraid of me hahahahaha thought that was funny as hell kinda scared me for a min didnt know what he was about to do. we finally made eye contact and he backed up about 2 feet and made a cirlce going around me in a 6ft area then wondered back in the woods. so some of the stuff has to work. i dont know about the doe pee as i try it every year but i have not had anything come right to it.

that was funny!:D I had a fawn of the year come up to me the same way. It was early on in my deer hunting years, and at first didn't know what to think...Now I know how courious they can be. I was probably the first human the fawn had ever seen.:D

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
that was funny!:D I had a fawn of the year come up to me the same way. It was early on in my deer hunting years, and at first didn't know what to think...Now I know how courious they can be. I was probably the first human the fawn had ever seen.:D

That would be pretty darn cool. Y'all could be deer whispers. Haha

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its really all about experience. I quit wearing a lot of the $gear$ when I had deer coming within 10 yards of me, while I was setting on a bucket, on a tree line, with a stiff wind at my back.

Not saying its stupid to use that stuff, but for me, and my experience, it hasnt really been worth the money.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear what is comfortable and warm and usually in grey or green. Even when I buy a boot, I look for something not in camo so I can wear it on the jobsite or elsewhere.

I like the spray odor maskers like the one that smells like damp dirt. That stuff works great. I would much rather sit behind something that allows a little movement that to be decked out in camo. I think some people can overdo the camo altogether. I mean, what is the purpose of a camo knife handle and a camo wallet? so if you drop it, you can spend the next hour on all fours looking for it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom