Can someone tell me what's causing the blackening on my reloads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a box of factory loads if they don't do it, then its the powder.
Like others said
1 light load
2 hard brass not sealing chamber
3 crappy powder
4 a can

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a box of factory loads if they don't do it, then its the powder.
Like others said
1 light load
2 hard brass not sealing chamber
3 crappy powder
4 a can
1) It wasn't a light load, I already answered that question earlier.
2) Hard Brass, it could very well be that I guess, I don't know. It's new brass. Does it come from the manufacturer hard enough to cause that to happen?
3&4) Definitely not crappy powder and, as I said before, I wasn't using a can this time.

I will try some factory loads, good idea. I haven't run any through it in awhile, but to the best of my recollection it didn't get sooty like these did.

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This only happens on my 6.5 Creedmoor and even though I see it on most of the brass, some comes out relatively clean after being fired. A guy at the range said he thinks it's blowback because the brass isn't forming to the chamber, but if that's the case why doesn't it happen to every round and if it is the problem is there something I'm doing wrong and can I correct it?
Is this a semi-auto or bolt gun with the sooty brass? What firearm are you loading for in the 6.5 creedmoor

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This brass is brand new, but I've had it happen with once fired brass too. I don't have any way to anneal my brass right now, that piece of equipment is on my wish list...
I thought all you needed was a propane torch and a pan of water... never done it, but I've seen videos so might be talking out of my Biden... :pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom