Can someone tell me what's causing the blackening on my reloads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im guessing chamber has a spot just enough to allow the blowback of gas. The brass lays differently each shot just enough to send one out cleaner than the previous. Just a guess without a proper inspection
Had a 308 that was having sooty and black cases and on occassions hard to extract. I bought the gun used and on further inspection noticed a burr embedded in the chamber just before the neck. Took 1500 grit sandpaper wrapped around a 1/4 inch dowel rod inserted in a drill and about 2 minutes to clean up chamber. Issue solved, I believe the embedded metal was machine shavings left in chamber and gun wasn't initially cleaned before firing. It was very hard to see with the naked eye also used magnifying glass to spot it.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a 308 that was having sooty and black cases and on occassions hard to extract. I bought the gun used and on further inspection noticed a burr embedded in the chamber just before the neck. Took 1500 grit sandpaper wrapped around a 1/4 inch dowel rod inserted in a drill and about 2 minutes to clean up chamber. Issue solved, I believe the embedded metal was machine shavings left in chamber and gun wasn't initially cleaned before firing. It was very hard to see with the naked eye also used magnifying glass to spot it.
Shinerryfarmer answer is where I would start. Clean real good inspect chamber metal/burr/etc. fire a factory round and inspect the brass. Ive had a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08, T/C Compass in 6.5 CR, Marlin XS7 in 243 Win that had burrs from factory.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you chronographed load? Mid range in the book, doesn't necessarily mean it is not on the light side.
Good point to using a chronograph for reloading. When I first started reloading for my first 2 rifles a Browning Safari grade in 30.06 and a Weatherby Mark V in 240 Wby mag back in 1983 it was a huge surprise when the loads were finally chronograph. The 30.06 150 gr factory rounds went right at 2700 fps and 2830 is all I could get out of a very stiff load with imr 4350 powder. Factory usually claims 2910 from the 150 gr. I thought I was getting easily over 3000 fps until chronograped. The 240 Weatherby would get the claimed velocity but was brutal in barrel heating up while summertime prairie dog shooting.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you are on the border line of sealing properly.

Too slow burning of a powder will reportedly cause sealing problems with the brass.

Do you crimp the bullets? A crimp can increase initial case pressure before bullet exits the case neck. No crimp means lower initial sealing pressure.

Is your brass clean and oil free? Could it be the sizing lube?

Latest posts

Top Bottom