Canoeing in OK Lakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've recently had yearning to start canoeing in nearby OK lakes, namely Keystone. I used to canoe some years ago as a Boy Scout and really enjoyed it and think it would be a lot of fun to start again.

I looked online for more info, but the web is so full of ads now, it's hard to tell good info from BS. Main things I'm wondering about:

1. What's the best place for good info on canoeing in OK (not float trips)

2. Do canoes have to be registered with OK, like the larger boats?

3. Is still safe now days to put a canoe in lakes like Keystone, with all the other stuff in the water, namely Wave Runners, party barges, and ski boats?

Any other insight or advice would be welcome. To me, it seems storing a canoe in my garage and periodically taking it to the lake would not be near the hassle of a regular boat on a trailer.

Thanks!

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pardon the pun, but I'm in the same boat with you. I've got a 17' Old Town Appalachian in the back yard waiting on me to build a rack so I can transport it around easier. I'm curious about questions 1 and 2 as well, especially as I have seen several canoes on craigslist that point out how they are registered in OK, with yearly tags even. Is that necessary?

As far as #3 goes, it's only safe to put one where you're comfortable with putting it. The only place I have been able to put mine in so far is the Chesapeake Bay, VA. Because of that, though, I've had it in waves up to about 2' high, and know that the canoe can handle it without rolling. I'd be comfortable with it anywhere that didn't have severe drops really.

Part of why I'm comfortable with my canoe is also the reason that I know what it's made of, polyethylene. If I swamp it, it's not going to sink as it has enough natural buoyancy to keep it afloat(albeit under water lol). It's also very flexible, and if I stretch it too tight when strapping it down on top of my truck, it will form back to shape easily. I simply would not buy an aluminum or fiberglass canoe for that reason alone. Not to mention repairs on those suck, and all I need is some good epoxy to fix scratches, let alone if I somehow managed to get a hole in it.

There's a great book that I loaned my Dad that I'll see if I can get the title of as well. It was a great read on canoeing anyway, but it was really informative.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it floats and is used on public water ways it must be tagged in the state of OK. Don't think it cost's much but the letters/numbers make a canoe look pretty ugly.

ldmtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've recently had yearning to start canoeing in nearby OK lakes, namely Keystone. I used to canoe some years ago as a Boy Scout and really enjoyed it and think it would be a lot of fun to start again.

I looked online for more info, but the web is so full of ads now, it's hard to tell good info from BS. Main things I'm wondering about:

1. What's the best place for good info on canoeing in OK (not float trips)

2. Do canoes have to be registered with OK, like the larger boats?

3. Is still safe now days to put a canoe in lakes like Keystone, with all the other stuff in the water, namely Wave Runners, party barges, and ski boats?

Any other insight or advice would be welcome. To me, it seems storing a canoe in my garage and periodically taking it to the lake would not be near the hassle of a regular boat on a trailer.

Thanks!

Registering has already been answered.
Personally, I would be vary wary of of canoeing on the bigger lakes because of the big boat traffic, wave runners, etc. I would suggest you take a look at some of the smaller lakes like Okmulgee lake, Bixoma in Bixby, Greenleaf, etc.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I spent today in my canoe on Kaw lake, and Ponca lake. We were crappie fishing, and Kaw was too muddy after the rain, so we went to Ponca lake.
All of the questions have been answered, so my advice is to stay in the smaller coves, and have fun!
I have a 17' Lowe square stern. Currently running a 55lb thrust Minn Kota to assist the paddles. We mostly paddle, as one can sneak up on a stump, and never disturb the fish. It got a little windy today, so put the trolling motor down, and motored the 1/2 mile back to the ramp.

BTW, I have an "extended hitch" that plugs into the receiver hitch on my truck. Drop the tailgate, and slide the canoe into the bed of my Tacoma. It was cheap to buy. If you need pics, I'll take some, and post em.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I spent today in my canoe on Kaw lake, and Ponca lake. We were crappie fishing, and Kaw was too muddy after the rain, so we went to Ponca lake.
All of the questions have been answered, so my advice is to stay in the smaller coves, and have fun!
I have a 17' Lowe square stern. Currently running a 55lb thrust Minn Kota to assist the paddles. We mostly paddle, as one can sneak up on a stump, and never disturb the fish. It got a little windy today, so put the trolling motor down, and motored the 1/2 mile back to the ramp.

BTW, I have an "extended hitch" that plugs into the receiver hitch on my truck. Drop the tailgate, and slide the canoe into the bed of my Tacoma. It was cheap to buy. If you need pics, I'll take some, and post em.

I need to get a class 2 or 3 receiver so I can get one of those, but I would appreciate a picture of it set up Dennis.

I've been working on some plans just to build a angle iron rack so I can strap the canoe on top of my Taco, as well as a few loops for my surf rods to latch into when I head to the dam. It might be more cost effective just to go ahead and get a hitch receiver and an extension.

chris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info everyone!

Keystone has lots of coves, so hopefully I can stay away from all the traffic.

The square stern with trolling motor sounds like it could come in handy with the winds we get around here.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One time in college I rented a canoe on Lake Thunderbird on a busy weekend. I will say that my full intent was to hit up all the boat wakes and waves I could. The canoe (cheap Coleman plastic of some sort) worked well and it was a blast.

Though to be honest, I think I would rather find some rivers if were looking for boat-free zones. The Lower Illinois, Spring/Grand/Elk, etc... would be nice. But then you have to get back your vehicle upstream somehow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom