Boat Motor Break-In Period

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I previously used SeaFoam, now I use the Walmart house brand for everything...I run it in all my boats and equipment...won't hurt to try a can per the instructions on the bottle (either brand).

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No offense to the OP... Why didn't Larry's Machine either break-in the motor for you or give you explicit instructions for doing the break-in the rebuilt motor? I'd be hesitant to take anyone's advice that wasn't the manufacturer or the rebuilder, just in case something went wrong during the break in period.

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
They completely rebuilt the engine so basically it’s a brand new motor needing to be broken as if it rolled of the production line last week.
Don't kid yourself. A "completely rebuilt motor" is not "basically a brand new motor as if it rolled of the production line last week".....not even close!

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't kid yourself. A "completely rebuilt motor" is not "basically a brand new motor as if it rolled of the production line last week".....not even close!
Plus if its 'tight' enough after a rebuild to make it idle rough, you would not have a motor for than a minute or two.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years of 2 stroke builds, lots of performance work. The motor shouldn't be that "tight" after a rebuild, ever. How does the boat perform outside of idle? Likely a carb adjustment, but also worthy of a complete check to make certain everything is buttoned up properly.

There are many camps on break in, some say run it like you stole it, other say baby it. There are a lot of factors that can contribute to one or another. Since they did the work at no charge I'm going to assume they re-used as many parts as possible. Likely honed the cylinders and maybe replaced rings if the pistons weren't too bad at best, or just tear down and inspect. If it is new pistons and rings I would run it moderately for a few outings before you beat it like a bad dog.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading all your responses which I appreciate I’m going to say it’s just an adjustment as the engine runs like a sewing machine when on the lake and in the driveway. It’s only when it’s under load right after it’s launched that I’m having issues. Like I said, I’m ignorant right now and just trying to learn and you’ve all given me some good information.

Thank You

Latest posts

Top Bottom