Can't find deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a shot last night from 20 yards with bow. It was at 5:45 so just a few minutes until legal shooting time was up. It was pretty dark. I felt real good about the shot. Deer was broadside. I heard the thud like I definitely connected. Deer ran hard after the shot! There were several doe with her. It sounded like she ran 30-40 yds and then turned around and ran the way she came, it sounded like trees falling! However the sounds may have been the other deer to. I went to the truck got a flashlight and looked for blood or my arrow. Could not find either. So this morning i searched all over. Nothing, but the sound I heard when the arrow hit is unmistakable. I did find a patch of hair about 20 yards away. I can't find the arrow anywhere. I have not found one drop of blood. Any thoughts on what may have happened.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did the hair look like? Did the deer kick or huncker up and run when you shot? The "trees falling" was it right after the deer dissappeared or a minute or so after the shot?

Most likely that "trees falling" was the deer falling over dead. Go back with at least one friend and start where the hair is. Mark that spot with something and begin a grid search. Fight the urge just to run right over where you think she is. In low light it's easy to get disoriented and she may be in another area. It sounds like that deer is dead. I've shot a couple that never left more than some hair and found them dead within 100yrds.

Good luck, don't give up yet.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I searched this morning for about 2 hours.

It was hard to tell exactly what the deer did exactly. Seemed to just bolt and run. The crashing of trees was about 30 seconds after. It was weird as it ran and then seemed to come back and then the loud crashing sound. Fairly thick woods but I feel I searched it pretty good. I will try again once I get some help.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good chance you hit her high and she may still have the arrow. Take a buddy with you and make a grid pattern like was said prior this is normally how we find ours. 2 weekends ago one of the guys in our group shot a buck right a dark and couldn't find it, the next morning we found the thing not 30 yards from where it was hit laying in a low spot in perfect view but it took 4 of us to find it. Good luck to you. Later,

Kirk

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When searching last night, did you hear any other deer run off as you looked? Many times if a doe is hit and leaves with a group of does, and then the hit doe lays down, the other does will hang around the injured one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom