Can't find deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was right for the fact I hit it. It ran like I said and then turned around and ran back found the arrow this evening dried blood all the way to fletching. Not 1 drop of blood has been found though. Searched real good around the arrow. Broadhead is in perfect shape.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anybody made a kill and not found any blood at all?

I thought about taking my dog, but with all the deer sign I figured they would go nuts sniffing everywhere. I may try tomorrow, even tho I bet the. Meat is not good now.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I thought about taking my dog, but with all the deer sign I figured they would go nuts sniffing everywhere. I may try tomorrow, even tho I bet the. Meat is not good now.

Yeah I had a doe I shot with a bow that didn't bleed close to the kill site. I heard her run into the fence. (evening hunt) I waited about 40 minutes and grabbed a flashlight to start looking. I didn't find any blood around the area where she stood when I stuck her. I just went staight to the fence line and was looking for hair or blood at the fence. I found where she hit the fence and she had ran into the barbwire fence and it appeared it threw her back about 10 feet. I didn't backtrack her trail to see if she ever started bleeding externally.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Let the dog get a good smell of that arrow. You may be surprised at how well they can seperate a wounded deer from a healthy one.

I've hit two deer in the liver and neither left a single drop of blood except for on the arrow. Both were found dead within less than 100 yrds.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a buck with my .308Win at 40yds that ran about another 50 yds around the side of some trees. But could here thrashing just around the corner. Looked for some blood real quick as it was getting dark. Never found any blood at all. I was really scared that I missed the deer. But the deer did take a great hit but NO BLOOD AT ALL.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been in the same boat with my first shot at a deer. It was about a week or so into bow season. Think I found the deer last night.:disappoin. Everything in this thread the deer did.

It was in the last few minutes of light. So by the time I gave it time to pass on, it was dark.(remembered buddy's dad saying to give it plenty of time to bleed out or it will keep running from you.) After checking the distance it was about 50 yards, not the 35-40 I was thinking. So it was possibly a low/bad hit, not known at the time. She jumped real funny and stumbled when she took off. The other three deer ran about 100-125 yards out and stopped and waited looking back. Even after i got out of the tripod, strange I was thinking at the time. When we were looking for it that night it, we keep seeing deer in the trees around where we thought it would be. Finally gave up for the night. Went looking the next day and found some blood but not much. Farther down the tree line than we were looking. Never found the arrow or much blood. It was a Sad day after telling two people I shot a deer then never found it.

Well yesterday my buddy tells me he saw some bones about a week ago over on the far side of the property. He shows me to a leg bone and I know it has to be a deer or a big dog. Get to looking around and we find a skull and back bone. It was a spike. Right by the pond never thought to look by the water.
It was about 300-350 yards to the side of were we were looking, out of the tree line we looked in and on the other side of another.

Latest posts

Top Bottom