Car Audio Experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockman25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to put an aftermarket Head unit in my 2002 pontiac Grand am gt with monsoon system
I have factory speakers which will be left as is.
What harness and special instructions must i have to install an aftermarket headunit?
I dont care about chimes so i dont wanna spend the 60 dollars for the special harness just a regular one that will work with my factory amp and speakers

nguypaul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Best Buy or something and get a wiring harness and mounting kit. Both will be specific to your head unit and car model. Then get those crimping wire caps or electric tape if you want to be cheap. The wiring harness gives instructions on which wires to pair between the car and head unit. Twist them together, then crimp a cap or tape it.

glockman25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know how to install a headunit im asking specifically about the monsoon system that gm uses and if anyone has done what i am attempting to do. Its not as easy as plug and play i dont think

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by chimes but I installed an aftermarket HU in my 02 Camaro with monsoon and just used a normal harness. After crimping the wires I also taped them to make sure and havn't had any problems. It was pretty easy and only took maybe 30minutes.

If you want a really good looking custom HU mount check out www.humount.com I had them make a custom mount and it came out fantastic! I may get a pic of the custom mount tomorrow and post it here.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use crimp caps with quality crimpers, don't just twist them together and put electrical tape on them, it will come off and you will end up burning up your radio.
with a monsoon system, you need the special adapter harness because there is a factory amplifier, you can't just wire it up, it will not work.

It has been a while since I did an install on one of these cars, but if you are not an expert, don't attempt to do this install without the proper wiring harness, you need the $50 harness.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you guys crimp? Soldering isn't very much more time consuming and I've had a lot less problems with soldered connections than crimped or butt spliced.
It just takes a little practice.

Sorry don't mean to pirate the tread.

WRLCWOS

Latest posts

Top Bottom