Car Audio Experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you guys crimp? Soldering isn't very much more time consuming and I've had a lot less problems with soldered connections than crimped or butt spliced.
It just takes a little practice.

Sorry don't mean to pirate the tread.

WRLCWOS

I used to solder eveything, but it isn't necessary. A properly made crimp is just as good as a soldering. I use solder for critical connections such as EFI wiring and stuff, but for the radio, crimps are fine. Just about every single wire connection made in your car is connected via crimped terminals.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, found it.
NOTE- you will have to run a switched turn on wire for the new radio as the harness does not supply one. The new HU amp turno on wire (should be blue with a white stripe will be connected to the pink wire in the factory harness. That should power up the factory amp.

2002 Pontiac Grand Am Car Audio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: The radio harness does not provide a switched power source. Run a wire to the fusebox for switched power.
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Pink
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: Mounted behind trim in the left side of the trunk.
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, found it.
NOTE- you will have to run a switched turn on wire for the new radio as the harness does not supply one. The new HU amp turno on wire (should be blue with a white stripe will be connected to the pink wire in the factory harness. That should power up the factory amp.

Yup I forgot about that detail its been awhile since I hooked up my HU but there you go. Easy as pie.

longshot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work for a used car dealership I install a few a day.What we use is a turbo kit from auto zone its probably like the harness from crutchfield etc.if a car has factory amp then there's only one extra blue remote wire to connect.takes under 1/2 hr.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
from what I can tell these are what you need - go to best buy or a local stereo shop to confirm they can look it up and do this all of the time.

Dash Kit
SKU: SISGM1589B
Part No: 142173

Harness adapter
SKU: SISGM07B
Part No: 138452

you may need the antenna adapter
SKU: SISMDA1B
Part No: 138568

just a quick guess based on base part descriptions when I was looking

monsoon you can power the amp - but in my camaro that had monsoon it just bypassed and cut 2 of the speakers from playing.

If you want everything perfect (all speakers, door chime, etc.) take it to a shop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom