Carrying NFA tax stamp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to reinterate, DO NOT LEND OUT YOUR NFA ITEMS.

Also, your tax stamp is the only proof you have of legal ownership, so don't lose it. Put it somewhere safe and leave it there. Take a copy to the range. I just scanned mine, dropbox the scans and then make paper copies, which I leave in my range bag.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to reinterate, DO NOT LEND OUT YOUR NFA ITEMS.

Also, your tax stamp is the only proof you have of legal ownership, so don't lose it. Put it somewhere safe and leave it there. Take a copy to the range. I just scanned mine, dropbox the scans and then make paper copies, which I leave in my range bag.
Agree. I was misinformed for sure regarding this.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get a paper copy from the ATF or did they send you a PDF file? They sent me a PDF and I printed a copy that lives in the bag my SBR resides in. I also can get to it on my phone.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree. I was misinformed for sure regarding this.
Wasn't trying to harp, sorry if it came off that way. Just misinformation in the NFA world can get you and someone else in deep trouble from which there is no recovery, even with the best of intentions and no malice.

Stupid, especially as regards to silencers, but we have to play by the ATF's rule because none of us can afford to fight the legal process. And the politicians and sensational journalists love to demonize NFA items and so we have to be careful.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get a paper copy from the ATF or did they send you a PDF file? They sent me a PDF and I printed a copy that lives in the bag my SBR resides in. I also can get to it on my phone.
I've never e-filed, so I can't answer that question. It is interesting that they don't actually send paperwork with a stamp on it to your registered address...

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never been asked for mine. I keep a pic of mine in my photos and I emailed a pic to myself. I’m probably not doing it right but there’s no way I’m taking the original out of my safe.

I would assume no one but the Feds have jurisdiction to demand to see it. I may be wrong.
Police take you to jail in violation of OK state law. need copies to get out and get stuff back. Called experience.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My originals go into a safety deposit box at the bank. Each in an envelope clearly labeled as to which item it covers.
I scan the originals and save them to a file on my computer
I print out copies and laminate the copies. I keep a laminated copy in a binder that rests in my safe with the items.
When I go to the range, I take a laminated copy in the range bag.
I've also started having copies on my cell phone.

I've been asked several times to see my forms.
Several ranges I have shot at in the past have asked to see the forms.
I asked one range about the policy. Interesting reply. Two reasons, one to make sure you are legal and two, so that if one of the other customers calls the cops and they show up, they can intervene and say "yes, he's legal."

I've had to show a couple of times when shooting "in the wild".
Even though on private property, some folks get kinda "hinky" hearing automatic weapon fire.

Also, if you travel, make sure you have the correct forms.
Some NFA items do not require the Form 5320.20 to travel to another state, but...it doesn't hurt to have it just in case "Barney" doesn't know the law.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have anything requiring a 5320.20, but I travel with suppressors often enough and it's always been hassle free. There's the occasional TSA guy that wants to finger F your stuff but everything's been easy peasy.

Silencer shop has a good article on travel with suppressors.
https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/traveling-with-a-suppressor

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a long time ago, and I don't think it was on this forum, but I read about a guy that scanned his stamps, adjusted them to fit two on one sheet of paper (front and back, SBR and suppressor), and rolled it up and kept it in his Magpul grip with the trapdoor
img_6279.jpg
MAG415BLK.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom