Case cleaning question??? Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sure that this is common knowledge but what "media" is used to clean brass cases in a tumbler. I have seen walnut media and corn cob media. Are both used? Does each have a purpose or does each do the same thing. I am thinking that the walnut would be for really dirty cases and the corn cob media would be used to bring the cases to shiney new condition. I am sure that this is a very basic question but I am new to this so any advise would be helpful. CHEERS, notasniper

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both work. Walnut seems to work a little faster, but is more $. Corn cob is usually less$ but takes a little longer to clean. I usually use corn cob with a little Dillon brass cleaner.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer corncob. If you have some super old, super dirty brass I would go with walnut. Other than that corncob works great, and puts a nice shine on your brass.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated, both work...you only need one type of media. However, many use walnut for the first tumble to remove the crap from the case, then use corn cob for a longer tumble to polish the brass. My experience confirms that; walnut is better for the first tumble, and corn cob is better for polishing.

If loading rifle cases, you need to tumble the case before lube and sizing, then tumble again to remove the lube (and maybe polish the brass). This is where the use of both walnut and corn cob seems to make more sense.

With carbide pistol dies, you only need to tumble long enough to knock the crap off prior to resizing. Any more tumbling with additional media (to polish the brass) is because you WANT to, not because you NEED to.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get very clean and shiny brass using a 50/50 mix with a couple of capfuls of NU-FINISH car polish. You can get walnut hulls from petsmart as lizard litter cheap. Put the car polish in and run for 30 mins before brass, to allow a good mix. A dryer sheet for dust. In one or two hours, depending on how dirty the brass is. Plus the polish acts as a die lube. I'm picky about my brass, or anal retentive, however you want to look at it. Add the polish every 5th or 6th batch.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flitz polish in walnut shell media puts a nice shine on brass. As above, put the polish in and let it mix before putting in the brass.

After polishing, if you have already removed primers, check flash holes for obstructions. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom