case corosion question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a deal on some new old cases recently. Probably half have a good bit of corrosion on the outside from years of setting in the box.

Tumbled a random sample of 25 or so. Some are perfect, but some are still discolored. Just enough to feel a little rough to a thumbnail.

Nothing you'd really call a pit, and these are .375 H&H Mag cases, which do not generate a whole lot of pressure.

My instinct is to use these as range ammo and save my nickle plated cases in case the elephants escape from the zoo and invade my neighborhood.

Your thoughts?

panayoti01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
some brass cleaners will actually weaken the brass. i clean them up with steel wool. i have found some 223 brass with the discolored area that you cold feel with a finger nail. if the steel wool didn't get rid of it i pitched them.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CB, I have some of that brass in that condition. I shoot it out of an Encore with a big muzzle brake on it. I did the ultrasonic cleaner with vinegar routine and it cleaned up pretty well. The Encore was brutal before I put a brake on it. The recoil shattered a Pentax game seeker pro with only 8 rounds. Since I put the brake on it, no one wants to be close to me when I shoot it, and it does require ear plugs under the ear muffs, but kicks about like an '06 with 180 grain bullets now. I think some of my 375 H&H brass must have been on safari from its looks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom