Case stuck in resizing die

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Any help? I'm using a Lee .243 sizing / decapping die. Not carbide, so the case was lubed. Ran the case into the die, but it wouldn't pull out, instead it tore part of the rim off. Any tips on how to get it out? :anyone:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any help? I'm using a Lee .243 sizing / decapping die. Not carbide, so the case was lubed. Ran the case into the die, but it wouldn't pull out, instead it tore part of the rim off. Any tips on how to get it out? :anyone:

You can make your own stuck case remover.

Just go to the Depot and get a 1/4x20 tap and drill bit set, A nut that the butt of the case will go through but the die will not, a couple of 1/4 " fender washers and a 1/4 x 1 1/2 bolt.

Works exactly like the one that midway sells for less $ and you can get it now

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just go to the Depot and get a 1/4x20 tap and drill bit set, A nut that the butt of the case will go through but the die will not, a couple of 1/4 " fender washers and a 1/4 x 1 1/2 bolt.

That is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?:hithead:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! I read about some of those, and for that to work the decapping pin has to be out of the way, but on the Lee dies, if the expander on the pin is past the neck, you can't pull it out. So I ended up using the expander/decapping pin as a punch. Put it back in the die, retracted the ram, and smacked it a couple times with a hammer. I then had to cut the case in half to get the expander out. This site shows what I had to do better.

This picture shows why getting a case stuck in a Lee die sucks. There is no way to get the decapping pin/ expander out of the way to drill out the primer pocket. RCBS on top, Lee on bottom.
awww272.pair.com_stevewag_reloading_rcbsvslee.jpg

ETA: Although I had lubed the cases, I did some reading, and I figured I had probably underlubed. After getting everything working again, I went back through and relubed generously, and no problems. Go figure, I didn't think I had done anything differently than I ever had before.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The de-capping pin just needs to be pulled back as far as you can get it. You can adjust the amount of penetration the bolt by the amount of washers you use as spacers! You only need two or three threads into the brass

Either way....

At least you got it out

Ty-

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You can't pull the pin far enough back to clear the primer hole. I tried to do it the way you said after I couldn't pull the pin all the way out, but I couldn't even get it far enough out to drill without risking drilling the pin down.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thats what I've used in the past. Easy to make, as I already have all that stuff at home.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! I read about some of those, and for that to work the decapping pin has to be out of the way, but on the Lee dies, if the expander on the pin is past the neck, you can't pull it out. So I ended up using the expander/decapping pin as a punch. Put it back in the die, retracted the ram, and smacked it a couple times with a hammer. I then had to cut the case in half to get the expander out. This shows what I had to do better.

This picture shows why getting a case stuck in a Lee die sucks. There is no way to get the decapping pin/ expander out of the way to drill out the primer pocket. RCBS on top, Lee on bottom.

ETA: Although I had lubed the cases, I did some reading, and I figured I had probably underlubed. After getting everything working again, I went back through and relubed generously, and no problems. Go figure, I didn't think I had done anything differently than I ever had before.

For 25 years or so of reloading
I used the RCBS case lube sponge. Works ok but you have to add another step to the reloading process by cleaning the lube off the case after you've resized it.
A friend that loads semi-commercially turned me on the Hornady one-shot in an aerosol can. Its the best stuff I've ever used, and you don't have to clean the cases. Done thousands of rounds with it now with rifle and pistol dies, and not a single stuck case, and not even a squeak from a near miss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom