Case stuck in resizing die

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using a pad with RCBS case lube. I've got a bottle and a half of it still, so instead of replacing that when I finish it, I'll just switch.

Am I supposed to clean the lube off after sizing? Learn something every day.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are you applying it? I've seen a few different ways, in a case block, in a zip lock bag, and even on a cookie sheet.

For 25 years or so of reloading
I used the RCBS case lube sponge. Works ok but you have to add another step to the reloading process by cleaning the lube off the case after you've resized it.
A friend that loads semi-commercially turned me on the Hornady one-shot in an aerosol can. Its the best stuff I've ever used, and you don't have to clean the cases. Done thousands of rounds with it now with rifle and pistol dies, and not a single stuck case, and not even a squeak from a near miss.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using a pad with RCBS case lube. I've got a bottle and a half of it still, so instead of replacing that when I finish it, I'll just switch.

With the Imperial, you use so little of it that I just wipe the rounds down with a paper towel or clean rag. It just takes a swipe and your done. If you really want to be a perfectionist like I sometimes am, throw them in the tumbler for a few minutes.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you guys want a quick spray on lube that you can make. Try this.

91% rubbing alcohol 16 ounce
1 small tub of Hornady sizing wax

combine both in a spray bottle.

Shake well before each use. Spray on the cases and wait a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate leaving on the wax to size.

Do not use the anything less that 91% alcohol as it will not mix properly. The best is 97% rubbing alcohol and it will stay mixed, but it is hard to find.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also seen the recipe of "HEAT" in the red bottle at Walmart (auto section) and Lee sizing lube in the tube. The Heat (maybe Heet) is 99% alcohol. Used the same way as above.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You do not have to clean the lube off. Thats the + of using the Hornady 1 shot

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How are you applying it? I've seen a few different ways, in a case block, in a zip lock bag, and even on a cookie sheet.

I have an RCBS reloading block. I put them neck down in the block and spray them lightly.
Hornady says you can spray them with the neck up, but I don't do it. No reason not to, as they say its not a problem, and they certainly know more than I do.

My next loading session, I'll go with their info and I'm sure it will be ok.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I use Hornady 1-shot ANdwill continue to do so. I did have a problem with some .223 a few months ago with a Lee die. Got a case stuck, Almost wrecked the decapping pin getting it unstuck. Got it all back together and got the next case stuck. Did wreck the decapping pin that time. Ordered a replacement pin from Lee. Before I put it all back together I lightly polished the inside of the die and gave it a shot of lube inside the die before resuming operations. No more problems.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the Lee die, just loosen the nut and drive the decapping pin down to the top of the die. That will usually get the stuck case out of the die with the Lee stuff. I also second the vote on the impereial sizing die wax. Best stuff I have ever used for lubing cases. In a pinch you can use mink oil paste from the shoe polish section of your favorite store.. It works almost as well. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom