CCL range qualification with a 22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something very similar to that happened in the class I took back in the first year. Old feller was so feeble, I worried the recoil of his .22 would knock him over. I'm guessing he's no longer with us after these several years.

Naw, I'm still hangin' around.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense, but if this lady couldn't pull the hammer back on a revolver, there's no way she could rack the slide on a semi. Hopefully, after getting her permit, she practiced with her firearm. It is possible to lighten the springs an a handgun so that it takes very little strength to cock it.

I know a woman in her 30's with a lot of health problems, one being arthritis. She cant pull the slide back or cock the hammer on most revolvers. My suggestion for those is something along the lines of the Beretta/Taurus with the tip up barrel.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My instructor suggest that we qualify with what we plan to carry or larger. His thought process was if we are in a situation in which we are required to shoot and we injure, not kill, the threat; you may be setting yourself up for a lawsuit as the plaintiff may pull records that show that you qualified with a .22 therefore you do not have documented competencies for a larger caliber.... I makes since to error on the side of caution with some of the crazy rulings that have came down, but its your call. Hell it is an 8 inch target at 7 yards. I could throw that damn gun through that 50 times.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My instructor suggest that we qualify with what we plan to carry or larger. His thought process was if we are in a situation in which we are required to shoot and we injure, not kill, the threat; you may be setting yourself up for a lawsuit as the plaintiff may pull records that show that you qualified with a .22 therefore you do not have documented competencies for a larger caliber.... I makes since to error on the side of caution with some of the crazy rulings that have came down, but its your call. Hell it is an 8 inch target at 7 yards. I could throw that damn gun through that 50 times.

I don't believe any record was kept as to caliber used in the class. Just pistol, revolver or derringer.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a woman in her 30's with a lot of health problems, one being arthritis. She cant pull the slide back or cock the hammer on most revolvers. My suggestion for those is something along the lines of the Beretta/Taurus with the tip up barrel.

Thats why ya keepem "Hot"....pull the trigger..Bang..simple... ;

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well it turns out a lot of folks were qualifying with a 22. I was one of only 2 or three in the class with something larger. Several folks didn't own a gun yet, so they qual'd using the instructors used Ruger Mk III's

after hearing the guy before me 'pop-pop-pop' his little pistol, my gun sounded like a cannon! it was kinda funny. He had a 10rd mag and mine was an 8, so he took three shots beofore I took my first.

I do believe everyone there jumped

pop - pop - pop - KABLAAMMM!!!

no one saw it coming as he was shooting a 1911 style gun that (to these folks) looked just like mine. The only one that had it figured out ahead of time was the instructor.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The instructor records the caliber and whether is was a semi auto or revolver or derringer. Funny thing is, that information goes nowhere other than in the instructors files.

I can tell you my instructor did NOT do that. He didn't care one bit what people were shooting as long as the gun and ammo matched and it appeared safe. There were no records taken. Heck, he didn't even see or ask about my gun until we were out on the range and I was asked to load it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our instructor looked at and recorded each firearm with ammo. He then placed them in a safe until after classroom and heading to the range. Recorded on notebook paper which was discarded. Only permanent record was auto/revolver/derringer.
I qualified with my 1911 and 230 gr ball.
Only 2 qualified with .22LR.
We had .380, .38, .357, 9mm, .40, and .45 represented.

Latest posts

Top Bottom