CCW Age limit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do not have to be age 21 to take class, but must be 21 to apply for OK SDA permit. The class certificate is good for an unlimited number of years. Past legislative efforts to establish "sunset" for a certificate have not succeeded.

true statement. I took my class the year we first got the ccw, got my license this year. Used the original certificate from my class years ago.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told in my class that there was a 3 year window to get your permit or you would have to take the class over and that was just a week ago.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told in my class that there was a 3 year window to get your permit or you would have to take the class over and that was just a week ago.

That seems to be popular, but there is no law or regulation that says that. I believe that it is to encourage you to take it again so you are up to speed on any law changes.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was told the same thing

As I understand, you were both told wrongly, according to both the Tulsa and Cleveland County Sheriff Offices. Reading the SDA Lawbook, there is no specified timeframe wherein one must initially apply after completing the course.

However there is a three year period that applies to renewals.

TITLE 21 § 1290.5 said:
However, any applicant shall have three (3) years from the expiration of the license to comply with the renewal requirements of this section.

So if you do not renew for $85 within three years, you I suppose would have to reapply.

That means you'd have to have your course certificate reprinted (not necessarily retake the course), reapply for $100 (or $200 for 10 year), and also be reprinted. Additionally you'd lose the lury of the renewal being mailed directly to your home; you have to go back to the sheriff to pick it up.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That bit of misinformation has been in place a long time. I can recall sitting in my instructor's workshop circa 1996 and hearing that info from the CLEET/OSBI staff on the stage. The info was incorrect then and still is today. I suspect it was a misunderstanding on their part and certainly plausible considering all the new info they had to quickly assimilate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom