CCW Suggestion for my wife please?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has her CCW but hasn't really been carrying. She wants to start carrying and I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy her. We have two children, age 5 and 15 months, and most likely she will sometimes keep it in her purse, so this is one of those rare occasions where i'd like to find a CCW with a safety of some sort. I carry Glock and Kahr with no safety, but they are always on my person. I'm a little worried about having one of those that may end up in a purse that heaven forbid one of the kids may stumble upon some time. Any suggestions for a smaller size pistol? I'm not sure the kids could pull a DAO trigger on something like a Kahr, but i would hate to be wrong...

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mom has a Ruger LCR and loves it. It is safe and will work if you need it. My wife sometimes carries a Glock, but she feels safer with a revolver. Need to take her to the next gun show and let her handle a few.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a LCR I am just a little concerned about the kids more than the wife. As much as you try, at some point her purse is going to be within reach of the kids and i'd like to know there was at least another layer of safety there instead of just picking it up and pulling the trigger, you know?

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kel Tec P3AT, or the PF9.

The P-11 has a 8.5 LB trigger

Not too good of an idea to keep it in her purse anyway. That would likely be the the first target of a bad guy.

Also, she might get into a habit of leaving a loaded gun in her purse. Kids love to play in mommas' purse.

Most kids can NOT pull a DAO trigger. Unfourtunatley, some kids turn the gun around, and use their thumbs.

The only way to be truly safe is to lock it up when it is not on your person. The gun needs to be in your control, OR locked up 24/7 when kiddos are around.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about a Sig 238(.380). I have no experience with them but think they are pretty cool. My wife loves her S&W 36(38sp.) but we do not have small children around to worry about.

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, as somebody who purse-carries somewhere between occasionally and frequently, it is NOT a good method. Think about the fact that a guy roughly 20 feet away with a knife can have that knife pretty dang close to your throat by the time you can draw from a reasonably accessible holster. Depending on your concealment method, it's even a bit longer to get your shirt or whatnot outta the way. NOW imagine trying to fumble for it in a purse that probably has a LOT of other stuff in it that may be on top of it or jumbled around it, and the gun may even be pointed the wrong way in the bag. I've practiced/attempted drawing from a bag with a gun positioned in a holster near the top in such a manner that it's all but hanging out the top when the bag is unzipped and it's still far, far, far less than ideal. Even if her handbag is always carried in exactly the idea position, on the appropriate side/in the appropriate hand, with the gun not shifting during movement, it's still unlikely to do you a whole lot of good in a scenario where the gun's needed in a hurry. Add to that the fact that the first thing somebody's probably gonna try to do is run off with her purse, and you've got something that's pretty heavy to lug around in your purse that's not a lot more than a paperweight. A little, but not a lot for most situations.

I feel that with that experience, I'm obligated to say something. Say your piece to let your wife know that while carrying in her purse is better than nothing, I'm not sure that it's better by very much.

With that being on the table, if she's set on carrying in her purse and you feel a safety is necessary, I love M&P's and you can get them with an external safety. I believe that's generally a special-order type thing, but don't quote me on that. Or, as much as it pains me to even suggest this, she could carry any of your safety-less options with an empty chamber. By the time you're digging in a purse for for your gun (or undoing a zipper or hunting in a special pocket, as is the case for "concealed carry" purses), it's not a much bigger step to rack the slide - and that's something that a kiddo of those ages is just about guaranteed to be unable to do, probably a bit more of a safeguard than an easy-to-flip safety lever.

clarkbe9980

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always recommend DAO revolvers with a concealed hammer like the LCR and S&W 642. I have a S&W 642 and my female friends and family do fine with it. It is a "no think" gun. They take it out, point, and shoot.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im in the same boat my wife wants a carry pistol, we dont have any kids and she's to weak to pull a slide back. She liked the feel of the smith and wesson bodyguard but im scared to buy it because i dont know much about it.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 w/Insight Laser that is a very lightweight carry pistol with a safety. I have a shipment coming in tomorrow with a Sig P238 pistol as well. The Bodyguard is priced at $399 and the Sig is $549. Both are brand new and both have safeties.

Any questions feel free to call!

Tommy
405-604-9651

Latest posts

Top Bottom