CCW Suggestion for my wife please?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, as somebody who purse-carries somewhere between occasionally and frequently, it is NOT a good method. Think about the fact that a guy roughly 20 feet away with a knife can have that knife pretty dang close to your throat by the time you can draw from a reasonably accessible holster. Depending on your concealment method, it's even a bit longer to get your shirt or whatnot outta the way. NOW imagine trying to fumble for it in a purse that probably has a LOT of other stuff in it that may be on top of it or jumbled around it, and the gun may even be pointed the wrong way in the bag. I've practiced/attempted drawing from a bag with a gun positioned in a holster near the top in such a manner that it's all but hanging out the top when the bag is unzipped and it's still far, far, far less than ideal. Even if her handbag is always carried in exactly the idea position, on the appropriate side/in the appropriate hand, with the gun not shifting during movement, it's still unlikely to do you a whole lot of good in a scenario where the gun's needed in a hurry. Add to that the fact that the first thing somebody's probably gonna try to do is run off with her purse, and you've got something that's pretty heavy to lug around in your purse that's not a lot more than a paperweight. A little, but not a lot for most situations.

I feel that with that experience, I'm obligated to say something. Say your piece to let your wife know that while carrying in her purse is better than nothing, I'm not sure that it's better by very much.

With that being on the table, if she's set on carrying in her purse and you feel a safety is necessary, I love M&P's and you can get them with an external safety. I believe that's generally a special-order type thing, but don't quote me on that. Or, as much as it pains me to even suggest this, she could carry any of your safety-less options with an empty chamber. By the time you're digging in a purse for for your gun (or undoing a zipper or hunting in a special pocket, as is the case for "concealed carry" purses), it's not a much bigger step to rack the slide - and that's something that a kiddo of those ages is just about guaranteed to be unable to do, probably a bit more of a safeguard than an easy-to-flip safety lever.
the G/F has one of theses and like's it .

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=QSAeTtq8FY3VgAett-jvCQ&ved=0CF0Q8wIwAA

clarkbe9980

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"no think"..... Thats probably the best thing to do during a life threatening situation.

Under stress even people that are expierenced with guns sometimes forget to flip off the safty. True a person should be thinking in a situation, but not having a safty is one less thing running through the mind. I should have used a different name to describe it.

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's a nice thought, but try out how much distance you can close on her before she can get to her gun from the handbag on the opposite shoulder, much less if you start off close close and go for her purse. It beats having it bumping around in the bottom of a diaper bag under bottles and formula, but it's still from ideal. 2 seconds is more than enough time for a BG to seriously get the upper hand - while starting from a seemingly nonthreatening distance, and that's pretty stinking quick for getting a gun outta a side zippered pocket in a handbag.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my wife a S&W Bodyguard and it has a safety. The slide isn't that hard to cycle for loading and it has a safety as well. Built in laser that may or may not be useful, but at around $350 new it was a good deal in my opinion. Magazines are hard to come by and can be pricey, but this can be offset if you find a dealer selling a run. Other than than, you might want to look at the older generation Smith's or a Beretta.

Digger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife can't even find her car keys in her purse with a big green elastic band on them! I can only imagine her trying to get a gun out and aim it! I told her to just slug em!

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone like local? Lisa Looper of Looper Brand (Looper Leather) has a patent pending on the Flashbang. It is a bra holster. I picked one up for my wife who assumed it would be uncomfortable, but the loves it for her j-frame. They make them for a bunch of the .380's also.

Just Google Flashbang Holster............

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife carries a Sig P238, usually on her, but sometimes in her purse. The safety is a pretty hefty "click". You really have to want it "off". It's an 8lb single action trigger in a 1911 style. With the right holster, it is very concealable. Might even want to check out a Belly Band so it's never in purse or locked up. I carry my 238 around the house. You never know when you might need it. On your person is the safest place when kids are around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom