CD Rates, best interest rates around here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My aunt has a little cash in her TD Ameritrade account which offers almost zero interest. Looking at investing in there CD's and found their rates to be 0.20% for 6 months and 0.45% for a year.

What is the best interest rate offered locally? I know they rates stink right now, but surely there has to be somewhere better than this.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to be a smarta$$. But in these times the best way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket. Personally I believe FDIC offers only a false sense of security. Some banks charge penalties for early withdrawal that range from 1 to 3%. It is a risk/reward ratio that quite simply is not worth the risk.

JMHO

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you're just set on CDs, from that same Ameritrade account you could research some equities that pay a big dividend. She'd do much better from dividend payments than from CDs. And, of course, it's more liquid since you can sell stock whenever you want. There's more risk, but if you're after dividends and not growth, it's easily managed. That's my $.02.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you're just set on CDs, from that same Ameritrade account you could research some equities that pay a big dividend. She'd do much better from dividend payments than from CDs. And, of course, it's more liquid since you can sell stock whenever you want. There's more risk, but if you're after dividends and not growth, it's easily managed. That's my $.02.

+1, I have several stocks that pay between 4% and 14% dividends with varying risk.

Some good ones are ATT, and MO, in my opinion.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about CD's, but a lot of banks (mostly credit unions) have high yield checking accounts now like TFCU's which pays 3.25% ish a month and all you have to do is utilize debit card, online banking, and direct deposit, FAA Credit Union has a similar one that may actually pay more, don't know if this is a helpful answer but it's what I utilize while the markets are all down, otherwise for a good CD rate you will have to extend the time frame, saw USAA one that has 2.4% ish over 7 years...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get 0.9% in a money market account if you have over $100,000 at the FAA Credit Union.

Oh is that all?

FWIW, to the OP I get better rates using two online money markets. However, like others have said, most of my cash is in high yielding conservative stocks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom