Cheap gun safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve put this off for far too many years, and I’m wanting to right my wrongs. I don’t have a gun safe. Since I bought my first handgun I’ve either kept my firearms locked up in a box, hidden in a locked closet. That needs to change. Problem is, in my current living situation, I’m severely limited on space. The majority of my shooting stuff lives in a nondescript locked closet, but with family/kids starting to come over soon and our own kids being a thing coming down the pipeline I want to up the security. I’ve considered getting one or two smaller safes that will fit inside of said closet, so that they are hidden from view and with the smaller safes having smaller, shorter swinging doors, I can still access them inside the closet. Thoughts? Any suggestions? I figure for now, with my current budget and space limitations I’ll just stick with something cheaper/smaller, and later on when we sell this house I can upgrade to a nice, real safe rather than a “residential storage container”

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
OR if i did buy a large, legitimate gun safe, I would have to either put it in the garage or up against an exterior wall in my office. I don’t like either of these options to be honest. But I’m open to opinions.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go with key lock or mechanical combination. The electronic ones "say" they are immune to EMP, and have warrantees, however how do you collect on a warrantee because you can't access your safe after an EMP event? Tractor Supply is good, Academy occasionally has sales. A gun locker can be a good option assuming you want to keep firearms out of the hands of children, theft not so much. Bolting to the floor regardless of size is a must.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with key lock or mechanical combination. The electronic ones "say" they are immune to EMP, and have warrantees, however how do you collect on a warrantee because you can't access your safe after an EMP event? Tractor Supply is good, Academy occasionally has sales. A gun locker can be a good option assuming you want to keep firearms out of the hands of children, theft not so much. Bolting to the floor regardless of size is a must.

I was going to suggest the locker as well. I prefer how customizable they are also.

I would really only get a safe if you want fire / tornado safety. Even the big ones don't stop someone who really wants to get in those. I saw a video of them testing out and cutting the corners off of safes for easy access without dealing with the locking mechanisms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom