Cheap gun safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 2 friends that got their 1000+ lb loaded safes stolen.
I say make a sweet hidy hole.
A false wall in a closet. Works very well and 8 foot tall you can add a 2x4 in it to make it a double decker.

Would only take 1/2 a day to build it and less than the price of a tank of gasoline.

I never worried about my kids or their friends getting my weapons.
I never worried about kid proofing my house either I went with educate the child instead.

No way to keep kids out of things if they want to satisfy their curiosity.
So satisfy it in an educational way.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There once was a 30-minute clip on here about safes. It was very good. I once heard that the garage is the worst place to put a safe because thieves will back in load up the safe and then drive off. Bolting it down should stop this. Another thing is thieves could use your power tools to cut the safe open. I have a Cobalt that has .250" think plate over the door and the door jam is 1" thick. It is the best of the five I have. All of mine are bolted down with three or more 1/2" bolts. True fireproof safes are costly but worth it if you have high end guns. I had a friend that lost about $60K in guns after lightning burnt his house down. All his were in safes, just not fireproof safes. He lost several tax stamp guns. Most safe have a 45-minute fire rating. If you can find the clip that was on here it has some very good tips on safe buying and ownership.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@HoLeChit back when I had to work for a living I knew a fella at work from Choctaw that made a gun safe from a big upright freezer and had it in his garage which most of the time is where people put a spare freezer any way so it didn't look out of place.

Might be something to ponder on till you can put back the $$$ to get the size and model store bought safe that you want.

rgs1.jpg

rgs2.jpg

226 Man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
At one time, Bear made a gun safe that had two key locks. The locks were located in such a position that they would be very difficult to pick. It was rather awkward to get the keys in as well but with a little dexterity it wasn’t bad. That always appealed to me as I dislike the combination dial. Some yokel with a big hammer will beat on the dial attempting to get in. He won’t but neither will you afterward. From time to time, Lowe’s will have a rather economical compact safe that will fit in the back of a closet. Friend of mine has two, one at each end of a closet in a spare bedroom.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 2 friends that got their 1000+ lb loaded safes stolen.
I say make a sweet hidy hole.
A false wall in a closet. Works very well and 8 foot tall you can add a 2x4 in it to make it a double decker.

Would only take 1/2 a day to build it and less than the price of a tank of gasoline.

I never worried about kid proofing my house either I went with educate the child instead.

They should have bolted it down.

False wall hidden holes don’t hold up well to tornados or fires.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

My dad never had his guns locked up while I was growing up. He used the fear tactic..

an ass whooping was in store for us if we touched them without his permission.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time SCI at Catoosa manufactured a modular safe that could be bolted together wherever you want to place it. Dakota Safe. And it was relatively inexpensive.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time SCI at Catoosa manufactured a modular safe that could be bolted together wherever you want to place it. Dakota Safe. And it was relatively inexpensive.
Bear safe in okc recommended and sold those too for people that needed moveable or discrete.

Latest posts

Top Bottom