Cheap magnifiers, Holosun, PA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf_walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holosun 3x for $200 or Primary Arms LER gen iv with their mount for $150

I think I'm more concerned with the mount than the optics by all the reviews I've seen.
The PA has the advantage of having swappable mount but I don't know that I'd ever
pay what it costs for a quality one tbh. Anyone have much seat time with either?

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the PA.
It’s not bad, but the magnifier kinda defeats the purpose of having a lightweight rifle. I only really use it for zeroing.
I played with a Sig Romeo micro 3x and it was pretty nice, like the mount, but very, VERY short eye relief.
no experience with the holosun.

wolf_walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question. And I'm literally sitting here at works half-watching a video review of several $4-500ish examples of
that very thing. I've never shot with anything that wasn't either irons, a red dot or a high power scope. As appealing as the mag
is for my no longer young eyes I've never quite been able to talk myself into giving up the red dot.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd think the advantage would be on a rifle that you primarily want to use with no magnification, then you toss on the magnifier to essentially convert it to a LPVO when you desire.
Say your HD rifle with a red dot, but you wanna take it out hog hunting, you can put the magnifier on when out in the open...flip it out of the way when you're in the brush, and take it off when you get home.

If its going to live on the rifle, I'd go LPVO and call it a day.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question. And I'm literally sitting here at works half-watching a video review of several $4-500ish examples of
that very thing. I've never shot with anything that wasn't either irons, a red dot or a high power scope. As appealing as the mag
is for my no longer young eyes I've never quite been able to talk myself into giving up the red dot.
Sounds like you might be better served by a low power prism. Primary Arms makes some decent ones, or there is always the king of prism optics: The ACOG. I always liked them in the service, the TA31F is a very capable optic from 500 meters in, especially if you effectively use the Bindon Aiming Concept. It is very fast and very efficient once you train it. The only downside to the ACOG is you have to get your nose up on that charging handle due to the tiny eyebox, so if you shoot suppressed be prepared for some gas unless you RTV mod it.

Fade2blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vortex, Burris, primary arms and Bushnell make 1-4,6,8 LVPO in the $300-400 range with illuminated horseshoe reticles that are similar to a red dot at 1X. I have a 3X prism and I think the LVPO Burris scope I have weighs about the same with twice the magnification.

I think all the magnified options will have a tighter eyebox than a RDS but might be better than a 3x magnifier.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking through my 1-6x24 Vortex Razor at 1x you would think you’re looking through a red dot only. FOV is very good, dot is extremely bright, and clarity is outstanding

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking through my 1-6x24 Vortex Razor at 1x you would think you’re looking through a red dot only. FOV is very good, dot is extremely bright, and clarity is outstanding
And it’s like $1300.
OP is talking about a $100 magnifier lol.

For the price of the higher end LPVO they had better be close to red dot, but even the best won’t ever be a red dot.

Ive got both, and I think the red dot is the more useful rifle especially considering weight.
A red dot alone is more than enough for most, and the most important engagement is that which is closest, where the red dot shines.

wolf_walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The eyebox has kept me away from any LPVO (that I could afford anyway) though they do seem to be improving steadily.
Part of the charm of a carbine has been shortish range snap shooting, especially from funky positions, hate to give that up
but I past 40 and my eyes are finding all manner of creative ways to suck now, so I came back around to the magnifier idea.
I guess for a couple hundred bucks I should just try one and see how it works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom